Welcome

A Warm Welcome to my Blog




Friday 19 January 2018

The Adventures of Becky - The Mean Streets of Penrith

 

The first episode in the Adventures of Becky, following her father’s footsteps into unknown perils, and so on to Penrith, that well known haunt of sheep rustlers, jay walkers and even after hours drinkers.

Complying with her father’s wishes Becky catches the train to Penrith to try and find George Phelpps and collect her father’s legacy, but this is no ordinary legacy, and will lead her into considerable danger. The 1st post setting the background is here http://vagabondswargamingblog.blogspot.co.uk/2018/01/the-adventures-of-becky-red-jade-budha.html

This is a re-post of the 1st part of  Becky’s story that I posted on the LAF back in  Jan 2016 so if you saw it then I would advise you to continue reading, because if your memory is anything like mine you will have forgotten it all by now...


Before I start this post I just want to thank you guy's who have been so welcoming into the blogosphere Martin, Frank, Bryan, Roy, Greg, d.G.G. Idle, Joe, Doug, Mark, A.B. and Unknown!!!!

When I knew I would have regular internet and the time to be able to follow some of the new (to me) Blogs that I had come across, as well as old ones I knew, it seemed the right time to start my own Blog, My intent was just to put all my game reports in one place and have a place to get notifications of your new posts at the same time.

The thing I hadn't even considered was that there would be dialogue - contact with like minded mad beings and as a solo wargamer I am finding that invigorating, instructive, interesting, and enjoyable.

So I suppose that's it - THANKS


Game Conditions

If you are not interested in this go straight to the start of the game at the 1st Photo.

Becky arrives in Penrith, a rough market town in the north of England and has to work her way from the train station to the local Post Office where she hopes to get the address and directions to George Phelpps house, there are a number of encounters on the way down the board which if friendly enough may also have this information but may not be all they seem. 

Possible Encounters

There are 10 encounter markers on the table, using a shuffled pack of 10 playing cards that corresponds to the following:-

Ace - Meet a biker gang, Roll 1d6 = 1 to 6 members, Roll a 2nd D6 and a roll of 1 = Friendly will help if asked. 2 = Friendly but will not help. 3 = Neutral with no help. 4 = Unfriendly and no help. 5 = Unfriendly and will attack. 6 = Very Unfriendly and will attack.

2 – Have a run in with a drunk, Roll 1D6 and 1 = amorous. 2 = noisy. 3/4 = Aggressive. 5/6 = Very Aggressive, and calls on 1 to 3 other drunks to help. To do what I hadn’t decided.

3 – Meet local gang, Roll 1/2D6 to give 1 to 3 members, 1 = Friendly and will help if asked. 2 = Friendly but no help. 3 = Neutral and no help. 4 = Unfriendly and no help. 5 = Unfriendly and will attack. 6 = Very Unfriendly and will attack.

4 – Meet local Law, Roll 1/2D6 to give 1, 2, 3 officers, pass Charisma roll to avoid confrontation.

5 – Nothing happens

6 – Meet a little old lady who tells her where George lives.

7 – Find local post office who tells her where George lives.

8 – Nothing happens

9 – Meet George, who takes her home and gives her Henrys books and papers on the Red Jade Buddha, although he does not know what they are because they are wrapped and sealed with a wax seal.

10 – Nothing happens

For each encounter roll yet another D6 to see if they are in the pay of Count Jacques Spaarks and if so they will inform him as soon as possible.
On a dice roll of 1/2 they are good citizens and speak to no one. 3/4, they will pass on information to anyone who asks but do not work for the Count. 5/6 they are actually in the pay of Count Jacques Spaarks and will inform him of the encounter as soon as possible.



The Game

Overview of Penrith town centre, Becky has to traverse down the road from the near to the far side, the final building on the right hand is the post office.

Penrith’s High Street, the encounter markers are the small pieces of card marked 1.

At the far end of town the Oriental couple are outside the post office. Augustus Dingle on the left has just staggered out of the hotel bar, he needs that umbrella, not for the rain but to keep himself upright as the pavement seems to be moving under his feet.
Sidney the portly gentleman is closely examining a very nice Alfa Romeo, I’m not sure if it’s his or he is looking to steal it. We may find out later.
Slightly out of focus in the centre (Augustus is my usual camera man) are a couple of local land owners and a rather disreputable looking seafarer.


A nice moody shot of them.

Enough of this artistic stuff, down to business - here’s Becky walking down the High Street, you can just make out the 1st card encounter marker in front of her.

It turns out to be a rough looking biker, Fat Willie, there could have been up to 6 bikers so a good result for Becky with a 1 thrown. She asks him if he knows of a George Phelpps in town but although he is friendly enough, her long blond hair probably helped here, he says he doesn’t know of the man but gives her directions to the post office which is only just down the street.

There is another encounter marker across the street and she sashays over to it, watched by most of the townsfolk.

This turns out to be a mean mother of a gangsta. Hummm shouldn’t that be a mean mother's son of a gangsta, or should it be a mother's son and a mean gangsta. Well you get the drift.

Everyone is watching intently, Big Willie hasn’t taken his eyes off Becky, I wonder why.
Rufus ‘Bling’ King has been having a very intense conversation with Amelia Frost the local historian about Celtic remains found just beyond the town. No - not really he is the only supplier of weed in Penrith and her local dealer.

Becky approaches him and naively asks the same question, soon everyone will know the stranger in town is looking for George Phelpps, Rufus is helpful. Yes I know of Phelpps and he gives her directions to get there. As she is a young woman she listens to what he says and has no trouble in finding the house.
Of course if she had been me she would have glazed over the moment he started speaking, nodded a few times out of politeness and gone off, striding out purposefully but actually none the wiser where she should go.
Well that’s what my wife thinks is the difference between men and women when asking directions. I know better, there’s no way in hell that a man would ask directions in the 1st place.

Becky striding down the road towards George’s house, she does seem to be turning heads, even Sidney has stopped admiring the Alfa.

Sorry but I had to include this shot of Augustus with his monocle popping out of his eye.

Epilogue
George is pleased to meets her once he has verified that she is indeed Henry’s daughter and invites her to stay overnight but she has booked the night train to Inverness in Scotland to meet up with her school friend Roxanne. They have a brief conversation about her father and George gives her the package he has been keeping for Henry.
Becky then makes her way back to the train station and heads north.

Unbeknown to her, asking complete strangers on the street where George Phelpps lives has triggered alarms and one of the men was actually in the pay of Count Jaques to keep an eye on George in case anyone came asking for him. This will probably have repercussions.
 
The 1st Encounter has gone well for Becky, she is armed and has Henry’s notebook, she has already made contact with Roxanne and Gabrielle and they will meet to discuss her father’s strange letter and see what if anything they should do about it.

The game was quite short the two encounters she had were the most dangerous ones, bikers and gangstas but she was lucky to throw the right dice at the right time and not get into any trouble, which really satisfied my criteria for the game. On to the next scene.

If there's anybody out there please let me know and if you are still here - Thanks for reading.

20 comments:

  1. Hi, John. I thoroughly enjoyed reading that and I was pleased that Becky succeeded in this part of the mission. It may seem that not much happened here, but that's no bad thing. Not every chapter of a story should be filled with action. Moments of calm, like this slow start should be cherished. There'll be plenty of time for mayhem and action later.

    As I was reading this, in my mind's eye I was picturing Becky walking down the high street in slow motion, with everyone staring at her. She most probably has no idea of all the attention she is attracting. But everyone is asking the same question - who is that girl?

    I must commend you on the scenery, the photography (so often overlooked) and your cast of characters. You are a natural at this storytelling lark! :-)

    One of the best things about blogging is getting comments from people who love what you're doing and forming friendships with them. I may be a lonely solo gamer, but thanks to my blog I have made some lasting friendships with folk from all over the world and the camaraderie with them greatly spurs me on. Somehow, we inspire each other to be better at what we do and that is what is truly marvellous about blogging - being part of one big happy family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry Bryan - don't seem to have got the hang of reply or comment, my reply to you is a bit lower down. Dohh!!

      Delete
  2. Hi John, Bryan in the comment above as hit the nail spot on & i'd agree 100% with everything he said, something that has taken my notices & you might enlighten me is your use of black out as this is something I've thought long & hard about for awhile now.

    If I'm right you've not use the computer for this which is why I ask as the lest I need to do with one of them the better, I try to use terrain to block sight off the gaming area but find that some times this can limit the kind of shots I can take, I've thought of maybe getting some MDF about 12" high & painting it black, but you seemed to have nailed what I'm looking for so please do tell :)

    One last thing is there a ling to Bryan's blog on here & if not do you thing you could post one ? with Bryan's permission that is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Frank - Bryans blog is the Vampifan one on the top right hand side. I would strongly recommend you go there and have a look at this part of the Blog. http://vampifansworldoftheundead.blogspot.co.uk/p/atz-bdtz-bat-reps.html
      There is loads more on the blog but if you are looking to see how a campaign develops this is inspirational.

      regards the black background, I use a large desk top for my games, well everything really, it butts up against a white wall that needs redecorating and to the side are a series of bookshelves. My old game pictures show this, 5th one in the Uranium Handoff. I put a piece of plywood against the book shelves to try and hide them. What I have done now is to pin black paper to the wall and black foam board against the shelves I think it improves the look of things no end. I will take a shot to show you. However it works because it is small and in a corner of the room.
      Cheers

      Delete
    2. Thanks for filling me John in on how you done the black out which is one of the reasons blogging is great as we can all help each other :) I think I might have already looked at one or two of the blogs you have in the blog roll & will look at the rest as time allows as there are great way of finding new blogs.

      I've just followed your link so thanks for posting it :)

      Delete
    3. No problem - I'm pleased to be a help, just be careful you don't get sucked in there are about 30 game reports on that one list alone, it could be weeks before you re-surface.

      Delete
  3. Cheers Bryan, I appreciate your thoughts and comments, I don't know about being a natural, the interesting games seem to write themselves.
    I had this game already written up from when I originally played it but as I was reviewing it before posting I realized I could do much better with the pics and so re-staged everything, retaking all the pictures again.
    The text is still pretty much original but I was much happier with the final version of the pictures. So you are very right, knowing that others are going to look at this and with the hope of providing the best entertainment I can, I put a lot more effort into it. Strange. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been SO looking forward to reading about Becky's adventures since you introduced her, and this post certainly didn't disappoint! - in fact, it excelled my expectations and you had me from "sheep rustlers, jay walkers and even after hours drinkers" :-)
    I'm looking forward to finding out what awaits North of the border in Inverness - or even what might transpire on the train journey - she might end up sitting on the carriage floor next to a prominent politician :-0
    I can only echo Bryan's comments about plot development, scenery and photography, as well as thank you again for the 'encounter markers and cards' idea (I'm currently saving up my Asda charity voting tokens everytime I go through the checkout)I must also add my admiration for your mini's which, as well as being superbly painted, are PERFECT matches for the characters they represent!
    Oh, and thanks for the thanks, but you're truly welcome ;-) Forums are great places, but can be a little 'transient' as members are so busy flitting from one Hot Topic to the next, that their time is a little limited for reading and commenting (though still preferable to getting a thumbs up icon on a farsebook group IMHO). I've found the blogging community has a much more relaxed atmosphere which suits my advancing years ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greg they are very kind comments, thank you. I posted this game with some trepidation because it's not a typical game of 2 sides where one side tries to kill the other side as I suppose most games are.
      I have a story in mind and the games drive how that develops so I'm pleased you enjoyed it because the others in the series so far are in a similar vein.

      Regarding the cards and encounters there are a set of rules called .45 adventure and there were quite a lot of game reports and scenario ideas a few years ago using these rules, I liked the idea and borrowed it. The rules themselves I found a bit too complex and geared to 2 or 3 figures per side but they encouraged tremendous, imaginative ideas for games from players which was a great thing.

      Delete
  5. Hi there, John
    Found your blog via a comment you made on Frank's blog, and that lead me here. Very happy with this find; you've got yourself another follower :-)
    Really impressed with these AAR's. Great backstories, great reports, beautiful terrain, figs and pics.
    Looking forward to the future!
    Cheers
    Joakim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joakim I'm really pleased you have enjoyed the stories so far as I've enjoyed writing them.
      Thanks for taking the time to let me know.
      Cheers

      Delete
  6. Great post, John.
    Thanks for the mention. You're welcome, and thanks, also, for explaining how encounters and such you've used and the mentioning of THW rules. As I've just said over on Wargame Addict's blog, my past solo games have all been standard wargames, so I'm unfamiliar with adding roleplay into my tabletop games. Reading yours, Greg's and Bryan's posts are a great help with what I plan to play and blog about (might need to start a dedicated wargaming blog, instead of the Col. Bill's business blog).
    Cheers,
    Roy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roy - I wasn't sure about including the encounter tables because unless you are interested in the concept they are pretty boring stuff, however for me they are the things that drive the story and the game. They bring an element of surprise into the game for me. So in this one Becky could have faced up to 13 hostile enemies and would not have been able to succeed in the mission, as it was she got 2 benign ones and so the game was easy. On reflection I should have moderated the number of opponents, but it's all a learning curve.
      In the past when I've solo wargamed in a traditional method, i.e. 2 even sides and me trying to play both sides fairly I have had a boring time of it and usually not finished the games, so with the 2HW rules and the encounters I usually have an interesting and even exciting game, even if I loose.
      I will be interested to see where you go with the gaming, and look forward to it.
      Cheers
      John

      Delete
    2. As it happens, I'm just finishing off all the bits I need to play the first game from a set of scenarios from 'Thrilling Expeditions Quartely' magazine. In this case, the scenarios were written for a set of rules called Gloire, but the magazine also features scenarios for .45 Western Adventures and they appear to be both rules in the same vein. I'm having to translate and adapt the scenario for my [solo, Sci-Fi] purpose, but its all going well. Just waiting for an order to arrive from North Star, which contains a miniature that I want to use for my main character.

      Delete
    3. This sounds interesting. I have a demo copy of Gloire, it runs to about 40 pages of rules, so maybe not much missed out I've never used them as no figures for that period, the file size is 1.3Mb I could send them if they would be of use. Certainly the characters attributes appear to be the same in both sets of rules and I did borrow some of the names of attributes to incorporate into my version of Chain Reaction, Guts and Brains are 2 I can think of.
      The .45 western scenarios sound more interesting to me as I do have figures for this period and they will appear on here some time soon. They were my previous project (I think that's the in fashion term) but now I've been distracted by the Palaeolithic period, just painting Mammoths, Aurochs and bears, with horses, elk/moose and big cats up next.
      Hope to see your Sci-Fi games up soon.

      Delete
  7. Yes, I got passed along a copy of Thrilling Expeditions Quarterly, Volume 1 No. 2, The All West Edition a few years back from a fellow blogger and its just been sat there doing nothing ever since. I was looking for inspiration, came across the 'Zorro' campaign in the magazine and quickly realised I could adapt it for my use in a Sci-Fi setting. (Luckily, I'm doing Star Trek and the planet in question is inhabited by the descendants of humans abducted by aliens in the 1860s - so, in other words, I get to use my Cowboy stuff with a few Spacemen thrown in for good measure.)

    The only issue I've encountered is that the scenarios keep referring to the the rules' "Recurring Campaign Encounters", which I was going to make up as I go along. But it would be a lot easier to see the original encounters table, however. I'll contact you over on the LAF via PM, then we can discuss options.

    Cheers,
    Roy

    ReplyDelete
  8. A biref but very fulfilling aar, You set the mood of the piece really well and I was drawn in very quickly. The terrain looked reallygood too and well populated unlike a lot of games I see where civilians are little in evidence.
    Really looking forward to the next episode.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joe I'm pleased you noticed the civilians because when I re-shot all the pictures they were the main change, most of them hadn't been painted when this game was originally played.
      I'm well on with painting the tub of animals I got from B and M, some of them are really good so thanks to your post of the Nellie I got two good bargains.
      Cheers

      Delete
  9. This is so well written and what an amazing looking board, it must have been incredible fun to play even a simple encounter like this one. I agree with many of the comments above, its a lovely change of pace to not have death and destruction throughout an AAR and instead focus on roleplay and story building. Bravo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. dGG the Becky saga is a bit of a slow burn, but someone will get killed sometime, just hope it's not my heroines. Thanks for stopping by and letting me know.
      Cheers

      Delete