Welcome

A Warm Welcome to my Blog




Sunday 29 July 2018

NUTS - Western Union - Game 2

“Hiya Sergeant” - Yep that’s the Captain again, I just know he doesn’t remember my name, but he’s been here 2 weeks and 1 day so hopefully soon, when he is ready to give me the furlough that I and my guys deserve he will say Hiya Sergeant Ryan, but until then !!!!

To cut a long story short, we are to baby sit 2 Engineers, seems the telephone line from somewhere, to somewhere else, has been cut by artillery fire, ours probably, but it needs repairing and so we have been chosen to protect these upright citizens, Tex and Rex, don't know their real names, they're not one of mine so don't count.

Sounds a bit safer than the last mission he sent us on. Mind you if it was safe why would they need protecting.

Great!!!


No issued map so I’ve drawn one for you.

I had McKlusky with the BAR to go wide to the north, into the forest to get a good field of fire to protect us the best he can. See ‘BAR’ on the map, no it's not a place of rest and relaxation. :)
Tex was at the rear protected by Cpl Bolton and a couple of men. Me and 2 of the guy’s led out on point with Rex - also protected by 3 of the guys, following us.

Any of us can find the breaks in the wire but only the Engineers can repair them - so I have to keep them safe.

So I am close up front when disaster struck, we ran into a panzercheck team, they reacted faster than we did, dropping a charge right on top of us, Perrin went down, blood and intestines everywhere, obviously dead even before he hit the floor, Mears was down screaming, I’m hit, I’m hit. Me – well I was bowled over by the blast, hit my head on a bloody big stone but couldn’t feel any other damage. Good God I’m stunned but alive, all I need to do is get up, which was harder than it sounds.

Wilson starts running, fast, off to my left, trying to out flank them and get in a shot, but they dropped back fast through the tall grass and into the trees. Rifle shots and Wilson goes down, oh no, not Wilson too, fortunately he had just dropped prone to avoid the fire.

I was back up on my feet, shouting for Bolton to take 2 men and get off to my right and pull round onto the Germans, we should catch them between Wilson on one flank, me putting some fire into them from the front and Bolton and his men on the other flank, seems under control, hells teeth there’s only 2 of them. Bolton’s men start to move forward when phutt the damn Panzercheck again, Cornwall goes down OOF and Bolton is down also, stunned and with blood running down his face but still alive and looking feisty and really pissed off.

Wilson took a shot and the German loader is hit and goes down, one man left and we are in the clear. Just then 2 armoured cars burst through the grassland and straight at us. They must have been there all the time but we didn’t see them, well things aren’t looking too good at the minute, all we have is grenades and guts, and we don’t want them spread all over France.

McKlusky opens up with the BAR, the bullets bounce off the cars but one driver lost it and pulled to the side, stopping before he ran into the trees and crashed - bugger. I ran forward screaming, and lobbed a grenade before I hit the ground with my hands over my head, although what good that would do I've no idea. As soon as it left my hand I knew it wasn’t going to hit, there was a loud explosion but nothing else. Must have given Wilson the idea though because he did the same, his throw was better than mine and straight into the open top of the A/C bang - you’re dead, the car erupted in a sheet of flame. The other cars driver had seen enough, he wasn’t expecting to be charged by infantry, well who would be, he did a fast turn and drove off, - Welcome to the USA.

The Panzercheck man had picked up his wounded loader and helped him back the way they had come, we never saw them again thank goodness.

While all this was going on the Engineers had found and repaired 2 breaks in the cable. We quickly checked out the rest of it, it was OK so I decided to leg it back the way we had come. This is called a fighting retreat in the text books.

“Move it guys”, I shouted as we pulled back with the wounded into our original deployment area - taking up covering positions “Come on McKlusky”. We covered the BAR team as they ran from their position in the forest to join us.
We were just in the long grass when a full squad of Germans came round the small wooded area in front of us.

There we were, the two BAR lads McKlusky and Smith, Me with Dokes and Wilson, the cream of the squad, the Germans never saw what hit them, 7 of them went down and the other 3 ran. I was the only casualty in the fire fight with a flesh wound in the arm, and had to be helped back to our lines. Not very glorious but we survived.

We couldn't recover Perrins body and had to leave him there in the open with no marker. The guys are pretty quiet about it, I don’t think we had a choice but it sits badly with all of us, me especially because it was my decision.

So we have 3 wounded, Sgt Ryan (me), Mears, and Cornwall, we were all lucky I suppose, nothing serious and were patched up and are back with the squad now, all a bit stiff.

Bernard Perrin RIP. our first fatality.

Wilson did well - I have recommended him for a medal, but better than that, he has gone up from Rep 5 to 6, a good result. Dokes went Rep 4 to 5 and Smith went Rep 3 to 4.


If you are still here - thanks for reading and I greatly appreciate any thoughts and comments you make.
Cheers




21 comments:

  1. Not much for me to say. I'm here and reading. :)
    Does remind somewhat of the old tv series, Combat. Which I rate as a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Fitz glad you're reading, hopefully enjoying as well.

      Delete
    2. I thought you just wanted to know if we were reading. (just kidding)
      I am enjoying your reports, even these ones without pictures other than the maps. As the others said, the stories are good and fun to read.

      Delete
    3. Sorry Fitz I don't think I was fishing there. I guess when I started the blog it was just somewhere to post my games - with the hope that someone might enjoy reading them.
      I have been fortunate in so much as there are some mad buggers out there that have provided some encouragement to what i'm doing that I soon realized that I enjoyed the interaction with other gamers more than just posting game reports so I hope you enjoy reading this rubbish because that is the main thrust of what I am trying to do now.
      Hope that makes sense because it's been a long hot tiring day and I'm trying to maintain body fluids with alcohol, which is probably my main bodily fluid.

      Delete
  2. That was incredibly tense! When the two armoured cars turned up I feared the worst for our heroes but they did exceptionally well in beating them off. Terrific writing, John!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bryan, it was a good job the driver lost his bottle or it would have gone badly. Right at the end and I was pulling the guys out and the German squad turned up we were dead lucky to get the drop on them.

      Delete
  3. Another great report John, at several points it looked like it would all go pear shaped, but they held they're cool and completed the mission

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Dave, it was down to the wire and no mistake.

      Delete
  4. Once again a very enjoyable tale John, having us on the edge until the last :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm reminded of the old series "Tour of Duty", with the VC replaced by Jerries!
    Great read btw and such an effective, though simple scenario.
    I really don't like the way THW does REp advancement though and have change the way it's done by having to get two rolls greater than the ability used (in this case REP). If a figure has multiple abilities, as in my system (Initiativem shooting melee etc.) and he only gets 1 p'pass' then he can roll again for that ability in a future game, but if he fails to get either die passing then he is 'stuck' with that ability and can't progress any further.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joe i agree its a bit simplistic but i was happy to get the advance. :)

      Delete
  6. I really enjoyed reading this report mate. So full of action.
    I did miss the visuals, however my brain more than made up for it thanks to your narrative

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's tricky, I knew I would have very limited internet so went with some games that were mainly text. I did read one of Joes posts and he had some pictures interspersing the text but they were completely unrelated to it. His object was to visually break up the volume of the text and it worked fine for me. Unfortunately I am not able to do that or I think that's the way I would have gone.
    To be honest the games you post are visually entertaining but it's the story you write that I enjoy most, indeed when I'm viewing on my small tablet, I don't bother to enlarge the pictures because it breaks up the rhythm of the story.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another thoroughly enjoyable report from the front John :-)
    If only it was possible to edit the font in Blogger and make it "typewriter" style!

    "Down to the wire" - very droll ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Greg - Hope things are as well as can be expected at your end.

      Delete
  9. I'm enjoying these immensely. They rely on imagination over visual eye candy. I can handle that. I have a good, vivid imagination. So much so, that I saw the two SdKfz 222 come out of their cover..lol Please keep em comin and give my regards to Sgt John Ryan. ;-))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Solo, when the A/c's came out of the long grass, I thought, that's it, how are we going to defeat these buggers as we have nothing heavier than a BAR and then I thought of grenades. BANG ;)

      Delete
  10. I miss your Paleo Hunting games!

    BTW: IMHO, you MUST recruit the original "Miss Cave Beauty" (Rachel Welsh) for your tribe! https://antediluvianminiatures.files.wordpress.com/2015/12/raq.jpg

    :O)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eduardo sorry I don't have the internet speed to do anything with pictures in it. I do have 3 Paleo games saved to publish but it won't do it. Having said that, I'm sure you've read them before.
      I've seen the Rachael figure, she's a very good replica.
      Cheers

      Delete