Welcome

A Warm Welcome to my Blog




Sunday 18 February 2024

Looters in Greater Snoring

Looters in Greater Snoring

In the small sleepy town of Greater Snoring under t’Hill voices are raised and the shrill scraping of steel on steel can be heard. Not by the towns folk for they have long fled, but by the local garrison from the Manor by t’Hill.

The town square hasn’t seen so much activity since the start of the war.

The Reverend Jeremiah Blackstock has decided to take a rest from his self-imposed task of Witch Finder and strike a blow for Parliament by liberating goods and chattels from the evil spawn that support the Kings cause in Greater Snoring.

Two of his stoutest followers wave their Bible and Pamphlets in support of the advance guard. They are prepared to use cold steel to emphasise their support but would prefer to be employed in Witch Finding, it’s a much safer occupation.

Especially when they see a small but stout band of tough looking fighters headed their way. The dashing officer is leading his men from the front, an unusual sight and one full of obvious menace; he must know his men are dependable and will follow him into the coming fight.

All for 1 and 1 for all.

Maybe it’s time for the Reverend to hurry the looters/liberators and get the goods onto the cart and out of town while he still can.

A final view of Greater Snoring before blood is spilled and men die.

Johnathan Harker shouted “Give them fire men and then follow me” At close range three pistols spat flames and bullets, the men were veterans of many a fight, wolves amongst sheep, and they made full use of their advantage.

They shot the officer in the right leg, it was only a light wound but the impact of the ball stunned him momentarily. Not so the man waving his bible, the ball hit him high in the right arm, he dropped his sword before falling to the ground so badly wounded that for all intents and purposes he was out of the fight.

Harker didn’t need to encourage his remaining wolves, the ones without a pistol, they loped forwards through the smoke. The wounded enemy officer lost his nerve, he would have run but his leg let him down. ‘Quarter’ he shouted and threw down his sword, it was a close call but his surrender was accepted.

To his right the fight was short and sharp. Wielding his mortuary sword like a hammer the Royalist beat down the defence of his opponent, pushing him back and then following up with a wicked disabling blow that put his man down. It could have gone differently if the musketeer behind could have fired but he was too slow to raise his weapon, it was all over in a split second, and there were three men down.

The Musketeer pulled back to cover behind the well but his companion with the blunderbuss ran like a hare.

The pistoleros moved forward to join the Mortuary Men and Harker made the decision to attack the enemy without reloading first. Sweep them away before they could re-group, he’s a bold leader and not averse to taking risks.

However Reverend Jeremiah Blackstock, had rallied his group of men and quickly assessed the situation. He was now outnumbered, with 3 men down 1 runner and another shaken and falling back. Better to take the loot in hand and retire quickly rather than face Hawker’s wolves and take more casualties. ‘With me men’, he called before turning away and running as if the devil was snapping at his heals.

He wouldn’t forget this action in a hurry and as they ran he thought again of witch hunting, it was far more lucrative and much more enjoyable.

A short sharp game, mainly because I've just painted these rascals and spent what is for me, an inordinate amount of money on the Conflix buildings so wanted to see them out on the table. I have 40 figures in total, all fighting men and want to get about 20 or so civilians.

In the past I did a few games of witch finding and monster hunting with some older figures and that's what these are for, although there will be plenty of local raiding and fighting for them to undertake. I've just been re-watching the BBC's Three Musketeers and was immensely impressed with the scenery, in town and village, so there may well be games set in France as well, using the Musketeer ethos.

So the current plan is to finish painting and buy the civilians but I want to try and make the buildings more of a town than a collection of houses on a mat. I thought of creating loose pavement bases so the houses can sit on them and I should be able to make more of a street scene using the pavements to delineate it. To make it look more lived in I thought straw and horse shit in the streets would help.


If anyone who reads this has any ideas or can point me to pictures of street scenes in the early 1600's I would be most grateful.

Cheers

10 comments:

  1. Well that was a brief encounter ! LOL Your newly painted models and new buildings look excellent. As for the question on making it look more like a street, depends if were talking a big town or a small hamlet, as the width of the streets between the two is very different, the hamlet affording wide open streets but less likely to be cobbled, and more likely just mud, whereas the town the streets would be narrow and cobbled. Also in the towns the houses would be very close together, with only the space between for a person to walk through, if at all. I think the clutter in the streets you've got helps give a lived in look, and the addition of the civilians will help that as well. If I can think of anything else I will leave a comment John.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave I knew you'd have some ideas. I'm looking for a small town, I bought some embossed wallpaper years ago to make a cobbled street, but I want it to be flexible so that I can create streets and squares/plazas but also use the buildings in a country setting on grass/mud. That's why I was thinking about pavement bases but not attached to the buildings.
      Cheers

      Delete
  2. Fantastic figures and terrain and photos as always!
    For inspiration, personally I'd probably look for images and clips from movies and tv shows that take place in the era.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found the BBC's photo library for the Three Musketeers film sets yesterday and I'm trawling through them, there appear to be thousands of pictures. So how do I say it "great minds think alike" ;) thanks for the thoughts.
      Cheers

      Delete
  3. Another action filled event. Congratulations on the additions both in figures and buildings. Street clutter could include the odd cart or wagon and perhaps some hens or even a pig. The cross and well are good ideas you've already adopted. I suppose a gibbet may be a step too far in this idyll, but stocks or a pillory or even a small lock up are more genteel!.
    Stephen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stephen, there is a pillory on the table, it might not have made it into the photos because it's on a grass base and so I placed it on the grass outside of the town. I'll certainly make up a set of stocks and pillory on a clear base to go in the town. Can I call it the St Stephen Corrections Centre or maybe the St Stephen's Naughty Step, what do you think?

      Delete
  4. I think the idea of 'the naughty step' is both more fun and funnier. I've been doing some witch hunting scenarios myself and the ones I've come across are dangerous. I think there are one or two new rulesets due out this year for this kind of game.
    Stephen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stephen, this morning I bought the Witchfinder General Rule set, I've been looking for a copy on and off for a couple of years now. I'm not sure it's really what I'm after because I think it's factions or gangs but should be worth a read.
      Are your witch hunting scenario's published anywhere, I'd like to have a look.
      Cheers

      Delete
  5. Hi, thanks to your wonderful pictures I have bought three more of the Conflix buildings which I was able to find at half price. Sadly the blacksmith's wasn't quite so reduced. perhaps another time.
    The rules I am trying are called "Devilry Afoot" and are not yet published but in the playtesting stage. They are written by Nic Wright I could ask him if he's still looking for testers. I have ticked the notify me button which should give you my email.
    cheers, Stephen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stephen, I have to say I'm impressed with the Conflix buildings, I've just had one of my wargaming friends visit for a couple of days and I spent a little time creating a small village for an ECW scenario using the Bloody miniatures and I have some nice pictures of the game, Well I think they're nice but then again I would. ;)
      I've come across Devilry Afoot on the Lead Adventurers Forum but most of what Nic has posted are pictures of his figures which are pretty amazing, there's not much about the rules, although I've not looked carefully at the thread. I use his Palaeo Diet rules for Pre historic games and funnily enough I've just played one today, following on from a game we played when the Mad Lord Snapcase visited.
      I would have been very interested in play testing his new rules but we are planning to set off for a 3 month trip to Eastern Europe, April, May and June. Well that's a notional plan at any rate and so I'll not be playing anything apart from Crib and Backgammon for a while. My usual practice is to try and have a few games played and ready to write up while I'm away, but it doesn't always work out.
      Cheers
      John

      Delete