Welcome

A Warm Welcome to my Blog




Thursday 22 February 2018

Fukushima Masanuri’s Revenge

That idiot Inori, what has he done? Hirano Nagayasu was apoplectic with rage, the poor peasant farmer cowered on the ground, shaking with fear. So much for being the bearer of bad news he thought.

The idiot Inori was the headman of a small farming village on the estates of the great Samurai Lord Hirano Nagayasu and he had heard that his Lord wanted to take over the lands of his neighbour Fukoshima Masanuri, of course being the headman of a small village was like being a mouse in the field, he knew nothing, could see no further than the next ear of corn, would not see the hawk soaring overhead, even when it was too late.

He had decided to aid his lord by raiding the nearby village that was on Masanuri’s land. It also had Kami, the very pretty daughter of the neighbouring village headman who had scorned his offer of marriage. Revenge would be sweet, he would burn their houses, capture Kami and at the same time ingratiate himself with Lord Hirano. Life would be good. It was a shame that he had not thought to ask permission from Lord Hirano to do this!

Inori’s raid had gone well he had captured Kami, burned the village and pillaged food and other goods. The only problem was that he had been seen and recognised by 2 young women who had escaped and gone straight to their Lord Fukoshima, who called his immediate followers together and set out in pursuit of Inori.

Text relating to pictures is below the picture.

Inori’s small but productive village.

Another shot

Bottom left Fukoshima in the lead with a small band of retainers and farmers, the farmers are at the rear for some reason. In the middle distance is Inori and the 3 villagers he took on his raid. There are various other villagers around the place but it is unlikely they will stick around, once things get noisy.

A better picture of the idiot Inori with his bold warriors. Kami is over to the left of the picture, thinking you are going to get it now you idiot Inori.

Fukushima moves into the village and starts to shout insults and threats to Inori (failed activation 3 moves running), this is a mistake because it gives Hirano time to get to the village with his small band of retainers.

Here is Lord Hirano and 2 of his samurai, all without armour because of the rush to get here in time, the man nearest us Tada Zumi is Hirano’s personal bodyguard and is the only one in armour.

Hirano Nagayasu and retainers push through Inori and the farmers, they are very happy to see their Lord arrive at such a difficult time, but his comments to Inori can not be printed.

Nagayasu wastes no time on insults and charges straight into the superior numbers of Masanuri, who finally decides that they have shouted enough insults and threats and charge right back, although you can see the farmers and lower class fighters on both sides are strangely reluctant to join in the slaughter and hang back.

1st blood to the Hirano Clan but the other fighters push backward and forward, not gaining any advantage apart from Tada Zumi (bottom) who has pushed his opponent back out of the line.

The fight is starting to swing in favour of the Hirano Clan. Tada Zumi (right) has pushed his opponent back again, it is only a question of time before he goes down. Both of Masanuri’s Samurai retainers are down, there are still a couple of fighters to deal with but they are not high quality and the 4 farmers at the back are decidedly shaky.

The warriors go down and two of the farmers pluck up courage and attack but they have little chance against Hirano’s warriors, even if one of them is Inori.

One farmer down and the other two run away, Inori has still not beaten his man yet, it’s not his day and likely to get worse.

Masanuri and Nagayasu are still fighting after 8 rounds of melee. They are evenly matched, both have moderately good attacks but excellent defences, so each time one or the other loses the attack initiative, they regain it when they are on the defensive. However on this move 15 Nagayasu has been pushed back twice in succession and it is hard to come back from that.

Sure enough he goes down with a serious wound, however Masanuri is the last man standing - all his retainers are either badly wounded, dead or fled. He could try to surrender.

O dear too late, but he would never have surrendered anyway. He is attacked on 3 sides, holds 2 men off but the 3rd one strikes hard and he falls with a serious wound.

It's all over bar the repercussions.

This was my 1st game with these Japanese figures, it was solo and there was not a lot of manoeuvring but I thought that would be authentic for this sort of small scale brawl, see them - kill them or run away.

What will happen to Inori, I guess he will have his head cut off and stuck on a stake. What about Fukushima Masanuri, will he be killed, that would start a war and his Clan is larger than the Hirano Clan so will Nagaayasu apologise for his idiot headman Inori and try and avoid a war until he is ready for it, any thoughts?

I'm away for a few days with no internet will catch up when I get back.

If you are still here - thanks for reading and leave a comment to show you passed this way.

31 comments:

  1. A nice little tale John with scope for more, the gaming area looked a bit smaller was it 2x2 ? as always cast & set was 1st class : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Frank, I think this was my 30" sq cloth so yes a smaller size.
      There has to be a rescue game to come, just need to get round to it.

      Delete
  2. Great read and despite the simplicity of the scenario, I found it very interesting. Love the set-up

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this is probably a typical club scenario, see them - kill them.
      I'd like to do more Japanese, samurai scenery to improve on what I have, I'm just in the process of painting some lanterns, but it's not gone as well as I expected!!!! :-(

      Delete
  3. Sugureta suruto arigato - Excellent and thank you!
    NOW you've REALLY gone and done it! ;-)

    What would happen next? I dunno, but can't wait to find out by following these batreps. Just think of the most nefarious, underhand, political course of action and you won't be far wrong!
    Now, where's my Japanese mini's?! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doug - I had to get Google to translate, and the same to you. I'm not sure though what I've really gone and done?
      You have Japanese minis as well as everything else? Excellent.

      Delete
    2. On behalf of "Doug" - I used to play a LOT of samurai stuff 'back in the day' and knew it was only a matter of time before returning to the genre. You've bumped them up the priority list with this inspiring post is what you've gone and done :-)
      When I got back into gaming, I bought some boxes 1/72 soft plastic figures and will have to see if they'll do.

      Delete
    3. Greg I offer my unreserved apologies, all I can say in my defense is a lot of red wine, after a long drive, at the end of a long day in someone else's bed. You probably have that excuse far more often than I.
      Hope the weekend gig went well

      Delete
  4. A lovely refreshing change of pace from you, John. Many years ago I ran a long running and hugely popular campaign using FGU's "Bushido" RPG rules. Suffice to say, I have a soft spot for Japanese tales like this and your batrep brought back many happy memories. If I didn't have so many other projects on the go, this is a genre I'd love to return to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bryan, I don't know much of the mythos of japan but I like the idea of the Oni and tengu as well as the others so would like to try and create some ongoing storyline, but that's for the future.
      I have had a follow on story for this game in mind, just need to get around to it.

      Delete
  5. Got to love a Japanese tale - loved it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers mate, I don't know how Bushido fits with typical samurai's but I guess the story line might be similar.

      Delete
  6. Fantastic report. It all looks excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's absolutely brilliant John! I'm just catching up on your posts and the Big Whiskey stuff is just as good :) Well done, looking forward to seeing more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess you have a bit of reading to do then. Good to hear from you.

      Delete
  8. Masanuri’s clan should employ Shinobi, send them in on a stealth mission to either spring the captive or kill him. I say kill him, blame the death on their enemies and use it as an excuse to start a war. The Hirano Clan could then claim they are Christian converts, send for help to the Portuguese Mission (I don't know where it was located pre-Edo period) and then they could have some European matchlock-armed sailor allies from a Black Ship. Top stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, I forgot to say that I am going to be at Hammerhead show - Newark Showground - this Saturday. The snow should have disappeared by then. Hopefully!

      I don't know if you'll be in attendance at the show, Wargames Addict? (if you catch sight of this comment. I'll leave a message on your blog if not)

      Delete
    2. Hi Roy - great mind's and all that. I posted this out of sequence - I wanted to finish up the Westerns first but I watched 47 or 49 Ronin and was so excited that I had to post this. It calls out for a follow on game and I have 1 Shinobi to attempt the rescue, but you have a very devious mind with the idea of killing him. You will go far as a Wargamer.
      You are right in that I am placing my games in the Sengoku Period, although I'm not very good on the history here.

      I'm hoping to make it to Hammerhead but my back is playing up and there is a lot of snow forecast for Friday. I live near Buxton in the Peak District and we have about 3" on the ground at the moment. Are you working or just having a good time? I seem to remember you saying the later.

      Delete
    3. Yes, we've three to four inches of snow at Catterick - definitely no less than a couple on the roads, here, so attending Hammerhead might just be off the cards for me. I'm not working the show, thankfully. I'll send you an email, or something, on Friday.

      Delete
    4. Yes I've just been for a walk in the snow and we have the same here, we left the car on the lower road but it's not going anywhere soon.

      Delete
    5. John, Hammerhead show has just been officially postponed. The police have closed the venue to events due to the snow, so the show has been rescheduled. Just thought I'd let you know, in case you didn't hear and journeyed there on the day. Roy

      Delete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. VAGABOND, BE CAREFUL! You're going closer and closer to The Edge of Awesomeness! :O)

    BTW: I am posting here because my post about your AAR in LAF was DELETED! Again! :O)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh No - what have you been saying?

      Delete
    2. Long story short: I complained about the locking of Fram Framson's thread concerning the fellow that was kicked off from the forum, saying that "in the old days" all discussions were taken in a democratic manner and without any censorship - with the obvious exception of displaying of Nazi iconography that is a legal matter in Germany where LAF's server were hosted at the time. They deleted my post. AND they deleted other 2 posts of mine that had none whatsoever with the subject - one of the posts was commenting on how much I enjoyed "the aerial picture taken form the helicopter" on your AAR! Maybe "taken from the helicopter" was interpreted as some kind of slang concerning right-wing fascists commercial fanboys! My post on the VSF forum concerning some NorthStar aliens being in fact identical to the illustrations of a 80s boardgame also was deleted. AND I've received several PMs from fellow LAFers telling that the same has happened to them. I was not "officially" banned from the forum but since I cannot post anything nor read or send PMs anymore is like a ban, right? Maybe it is just a server malfunction... :O) In the meanwhile... going to the beach! Take care, mate! :O)

      Delete
    3. Enjoy the beach. we have 8" of snow here, nothings been up our road in 3 days.

      Beach - I dream of the beach.

      Sorry to hear of your problems on the forum I've just looked at a couple of the threads and earlier when I discussed it with my wife I did say there were only 3 people who I thought were aggressive that I had come across on the board and interestingly 1 of them is the guy who has been banned.
      Cheers

      Delete
  11. Way behind on my reading again, but is rectified. Somewhat
    Great AAR, as usual. I really like the scenery, top notch, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't suppose the length of my posts help reducing your reading time. ;-)
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete