Somewhere in south east Asia.
In a small jungle clearing, a tribe of locals wait in fear.
Standing calmly amongst them is an unusual figure, ramrod straight and clutching a large book, he alone shows no agitation.
Even the goats and swine move restlessly in their pens.
The natives appear to have left an offering, or maybe a sacrifice, she is guarded by two stalwart warriors but from what we might ask ourselves, and for how long, would be the next question.
Does the Khmer Temple have any significance; is she a sacrifice to Shiva the Destroyer?
Basking on a sand bank in a slow moving river the crocodile couldn’t care less about the mystery of the captive woman, she is too far from the river. He is watching a small column of humans (food to his simple mind) make their way along the river bank.
The expedition is heading towards the native village but the villagers don't know this yet. Is the expedition there to free the captive or for some other mysterious reason.
The answer may lay in the fact that Nigel Barrington the 9th Earl of Stratton whose family home is on the outskirts of the small village of Comely Wallop, Shropshire is a keen Naturalist and Anthropological Ethologist.
Gita Asthana the noted Photographer accompanies him and Sir Austin Wolseley appears to have been seconded to the expedition, probably by Nigel’s wife Sarah Barrington who keeps a proprietorial eye on the family fortunes.
Further down river men of the 4th section 1st Company of the 42nd (Royal Highland) Regiment of Foot informally known as the Black Watch were disembarking from their small flotilla of river boats, prior to starting their slog through the jungle.
They were led by Ensign James Cameron, nephew of the regimental commanding officer. Standing ramrod straight he called out to the men, “Fall in behind and to the sides of the porters and follow me”.
He didn’t disclose his orders with anyone and the men had no idea what they were going to encounter.
Rittmeister Friedrich Wilhelm von Seydlitz, the great great great etc grandson of the famous man himself cleared the tree tops with some degree of relief. It was an honour to serve in the newly formed Prussian Rapid Air Service but it was also a dry mouthed experience.
The new clockwork copters allowed the Prussian Rapid Air Service to streak in at tree top height. Fast and silent, apart from the clockwork motor slowly unwinding, the Troopers enjoyed the speed but worried that there was no alarm to advise when the motor would cease to provide motive power.
Things always got a little exciting at that point.
Rittmeister Friedrich Wilhelm looked over his shoulder as the Halbstaffel or half squadron followed closely behind him.
Unlike Ensign James Cameron, Friedrich Wilhelm had briefed his men thoroughly, none of them were happy about it but they were proud to be part of the fledgling Prussian Rapid Air Service and proud to do their duty.
Is this what everyone is looking for?
Maybe, maybe not, tune in next week for the first instalment of “THE PRIMATE”.
Actually it won’t be next week because I’ll be in Shropshire but hopefully the week after although that doesn’t have the same resonance.
For over a year I’d been hoping to do some form of collaboration with Stephen Gilbert. Back in 2012 he’d played and written about a series of games, but as with most of us, once the initial enthusiasm stops, old ideas or projects get dropped in favour of new ones, we’re always moving forward, glancing backward to see what we’ve left behind and wondering if we could pick it up again, but rarely do. We’d corresponded and I’d asked if he would mind if we could work together to take the story forward I had a basic outline and would play the games and he would act as an advisor and sounding board.
Having read his stories I was mightily impressed, this wasn’t wargaming as I knew it, more free form story writing driven by the game and I guess I’ve tried to follow his example for years but without his skill with words. Well Steve died earlier this year and my opportunity to work with a truly creative person evaporated. This should be a lesson to us all, grab the golden opportunities while you can because they don’t always hang around waiting for us.
Anyway he’d talked to his partner and she very kindly had agreed to his request to pass on some of his figures so that I could carry out my ideas to move his story forward. This involves a character called Carlotta Wynne, a hard boiled detective from the City of Angels and I want to take her to South East Asia.
More about her in the future but last week I received a parcel that contained the dozen or so figures from his Carlotta story that I was expecting but lots more from his Pax Limpopo collection as well. I’d never heard of Pax Limpopo but it’s a quite amazing selection of figures that has me wondering how to incorporate them into my normal style of games. However in the parcel was a figure wrapped in tissue paper and a note that read, “Your mission should you choose to accept it is to insert this figure somewhere in your next battle report” The figure in question is obviously King Kong and I’ve given away the surprise by mentioning him at this stage, although I imagine anyone reading this would have been there before the démontre or the reveal, however I wanted to show him in this opening sequence because "I choose to accept the mission".
Most of the figures I’m using in this game are ones that I’ve inherited from Steve and I hope I can do them the justice they deserve. The game outline is still pretty vague but I’ve got the scenery out, the figures out and the rest should be easy.
Cheers





An interesting set up John, hope you have a great time in Shropshire.
ReplyDeleteThanks Dave, Shropshire should be good. We were there last year and had a good time. Cycled up the Long Mynd from the far side to Church Stretton, It nearly killed me but the advantage with that sort of hill is that if you don't have a heart attack going up then you should be good for a year or so. At least that's my theory and so far I've been right. :)
DeleteHow are things with you? I've not been on your blog for a while and wonder how you're doing.
Take care
Cheers
Treatment is still going well, the fluid is still reducing in my lung without having to be drained, and the lining is still at the reduced size, currently going through investigation on my hands to see why I have reduced movement, but feel well in myself thank you.
DeleteThat's excellent news Dave, I'm very pleased to hear it. Hands might be a bit of an issue for you though. I've got Jupiters in one hand and mainly just in 1 finger. I restarted playing guitar to see if it would help with the exercise and the hand is no worse than it was 3 years ago and if anything slightly better. My playing is just as bad as when I was 18 which is a bit sad. :)
DeleteI am moved to tears, I had no idea Steve had died. I was fortunate to correspond with him for a while back in 2019 when I was scratching out ideas for the Castle Itter project. I had reached out to him because of his imaginative way of weaving story telling into gaming and he was so incredibly generous with his time and enthusiasm. Both he and Hills really opened my eyes to narrative driven games and I really regret not keeping in touch. Having read your post, I just went back and read some of the correspondence that we shared and was instantly moved by the sheer joy that he imbued into everything. If you are in touch with Hills do remember me to her and say how dreadfully sorry I am.
ReplyDeleteFor all of these reasons, I can't wait to see how this will unfold. If ever there was a perfect way to celebrate a person it is surely producing something so wonderful in the honour. I am totally invested and can't wait to read more. Take great care, Michael
Hi Michael I think this is the thing with the internet and Blogging, we sort of know people but maybe never meet them. We form friendships that are different to our normal everyday friendships, they're more like connections with like minded people and then they cease, sometimes we don't know why, their Blog entries stop and that's it. Sometimes I guess we're fortunate and find out what happened. I know 2 of the guys and probably a third one who I was in close contact with have all died and gone to wargamers heaven or Valhalla as I like to think of it, but without the fighting, and now Stevie. We're all going to end up there, it's just a matter of when and possibly how.
DeleteI have to say, I miss them greatly as well as the two other buggers who just stopped blogging and I guess it was then that some spark went out of my Blogging and gaming momentum, there was contact, ideas, have you thought about this or that, I tried that but this worked better. Human contact, not just some platitude about figures or terrain. Sorry I'm feeling a little sad tonight.
Take care
John
All of this rings so true John. Having dropped of the Blogging train a couple of times due to my own struggles I couldn't help but notice fewer and fewer of those I made a connection with on my return. I wanted to try and be around a lot more this summer, before the academic year fires up again, but have caught myself making exactly those brief comments you refer to. I think I was just keen to let people know that I was reading their posts, but probably also to let me know I was still there too. Take great care, Michael
DeleteMichael in spite of what I said, I do believe it's also important that you let fellow wargamers know that they're not just talking to empty space.
DeleteCheers
Thats just awesome to see the figures I packed in a great big heavy box, filled with lead , and dragged to the post office coming to life in Rumble in the Jungle. Stevie would be delighted to see some of his Pax Limpopo characters in there too. He wrote some great stories for the guys at Eureka Miniatures but he never quite got round to using them in a battle report of same,even so they tickled his whimsical funny bone and he treasured them , he was very happy to hear that you would like to continue the adventures of Carlotta Wynn you were just who he would have chosen for the task. So thanks for bringing them all to life in your blog John and well done for accepting the king Kong mission. The flying aviators work well on those clear plastic mounts. Waiting for the next installment.....
ReplyDeleteThinking of you Hills, with lots of love, Michael
DeleteThanks Hillary it means a lot to think Stevie would have liked it and that you approve.
DeleteCheers
My condolences on Stephen's passing. That's so true about how we make these odd little connections with like-minded people on these blogs (or on forums or other internet venues), and rarely meet in real life or have much other contact, and then lose contact at some point. It can be ephemeral and infrequent, but no less real for all that. We usually know very little about each other, but there is a sort of recognition or something, in a shared idea or fondness for some little part of a hobby. A little bit of connection.
ReplyDeleteIt's cool that you can carry on his collection and some of his ideas and story and bring some of your own stuff into it, too.
What!? A great ape? Who'd a thunk it? (what was a giant African ape doing in Asia anyway?) ha ha
Hi Dave, I agree with your thoughts entirely.
DeleteWhat's wrong with a great ape in SE Asia, if I remember the original film correctly he was on some island in the Pacific and then in New York. SE Asia seems much more likely. 😂😂 Mind you it was porobably 50 to 60 years ago when I watched the oruginal black and white film, and my memory isn't quite as good as it used to be. At least I think it's not quite as good because, to be honest I can't remember.
Just being a little pedantic, but not serious. :P
DeleteI always laughed at the Tarzan shows when they mixed up animals from jungles in different continents, too, even when I was a kid. I guess biogeography was always a special interest of mine. I could buy giant orangutans as great apes of SE Asia, but I guess they wouldn't seem as menacing. ha ha Gorillas are more of a stretch. How did a lone one get there? Is there a self-sustaining colony? Or did some "mad scientist" or someone bring one there? Or should I follow MST3K's advice and tell myself, "It's just a show, I should really just relax"? :D
Most of the time I do just that. :D
I'll try and work ot a logical reason for a gorilla being in SEAsia 😂😂 although as he's multiple times bigger than a standard gorilla the reasoning is going to be a little weak. 😱😱
DeleteTake care
Sorry about that! Maybe you can work something in about an over-enthusiastic biogeographer nosing around where they shouldn't and causing trouble... :lol:
DeleteI'll see what I can work out, first I'll have to look up biogeographer. :)
DeleteCheers
Once again you have an intriguing setting for what will enfold. I presume that the young woman is tied to stakes to protect the Great Ape himself from what she might do.
ReplyDeleteI was sorry to hear of your friend's passing and reminded of those who were once part of my wargaming life.
Yesterday I received a Spanish Uniform book and placed it on the shelf alongside one by the same author/artist that I'd inherited from my father's collection - the hobby wasn't the only thing we shared but it was a pretty important one.
Stephen
Hi Stephen, your opening sentence is quite an intriguing idea, I have been wondering why the hell she's there and so far it's a storyline that goes back a year before this particular event is taking place. That might just be too big a time span for me to cope with at my current glacial pace.
DeleteI have 2 sons, neither of who is particularly interested in wargaming. I obviously didn't try hard enough when they were at an impressionable age. I do worry what will happen to my collection when I'm gone. Your dad was lucky that you are carrying on his tradition. I'm sure he would have been proud of that.
Cheers
Looks like quite the adventure unfolding in the jungle, the mighty jungle, where the lion sleeps tonight... :)
ReplyDeleteHi Mike, I'm sure I've heard that line somewhere before. 😉
DeleteCheers
Well done
ReplyDelete