Welcome

A Warm Welcome to my Blog




Wednesday 27 December 2017

Opening Post and Dedication

"Hello - My names John and I'm a Wargamer".

I thought I could handle it but I can't. I kicked the habit for a long time but the old adage "you are only one game away from relapse" is too true.

Many years ago like 40 years ago!!!! I was a traditional wargamer, re-fighting massed battles, 25mm and 15mm even some 6mm armoured. Think Donald Featherstone and Tony Bath, although I'm not that old. Then I became a member of the Society of Ancients and took winning very seriously. This went on for a number of years, I was a founding member of a wargaming club they were a great bunch of guys, but I decided I had had enough of competitive (argumentative) style gaming and stopped playing regularly.

I did have a few solo games, but missed the element of competition and surprise also with equal points based armies it was quite boring, I rarely finished a game. The guys would come out of the closet line up and then get put away again without moving very far at all. The rules at the time were usually either very complex with lots of record keeping or quite simplistic and not realistic enough to suit me then, how times have changed.

Everything would have been fine, I could have lived a normal life until I discovered Smirnoff. No sorry that's another blog ;-)

I moved house - lost the 8 x 6' table, that seemed like the end, finally clean. I kept the old armies but it was only to prove I was never going back to that life.

This was the case for about 25 years and then trawling the internet I came upon Vampifan’s blog. Here was this guy playing games on a 3’ square table, with some amazing looking scenery, all printed paper and with not many figures, so no great investment cost and he was having a whale of a time playing solo games against a games system that continually threw up new challenges.

There was no even points sides, you had no idea what would occur, sometimes the games were easy and some times he just had to run away, the alternative was for his figures to die. This was All Things Zombie (ATZ) and he had so much invested in the characters that getting them killed was a really bad idea and painful as well.
I had never played any RPG’s and never come across this concept before. Usually you fought to the last man or the morale system made you run away, this was narrative gaming with a vengeance and I was hooked.

Even reading the games reports was exciting, I was always rooting for the good guy’s but unlike a novel or a film where it always ends well, with this game it didn’t always end well, there were casualties and that hurt in a weird sort of a way.

The other person who set me back off on the gaming trail was a guy from Germany called Whiteface. He also played with the ATZ rules, he started off with little and sometimes inappropriate scenery but this improved as time went on. His blog was dark and very bleak and the campaign didn’t go well, he lost his wife early on, his daughter disappeared, his games very often ended badly but they were a gripping read, with tongue in the cheek dark humour. Eventually he stopped posting and I was really sad that this source of dark tales in a zombie infested world had ceased.
These two gamers showcased very different tables, one a masterpiece and one a work in progress, but they had two things in common, a set of rules that gave them a dramatic and exciting solo game, and they both had a gripping narrative style in the way they played and recorded their games. This was what I had been looking for and never found. I fell off the waggon with a big bump.

I had some Copplestone Street Violence type figures just because I liked them and thought they would be nice to paint, but of course never did anything with them. However after reading the zombie blogs I bought some zombies and painted them all, that was about 6 years ago and I started gaming again.

I hadn’t seen a zombie film and still haven't, and zombies per se don't interest me at all but they make amazing opponents in a game with their simplistic, can I see food - Yes/No if Yes go and eat it!!!

This brought me back to gaming but about the same time I discovered the Lead Adventurers Forum, it's a very special place full of talented enthusiastic and encouraging people, the forum is full of ideas and inspiration and has kept my interest in gaming on a high heat ever since.

Well as this is my 1st post I probably ought to say a little about how I envision my blog in the future, which is a bit of a problem as I'm not too sure where I will end up and I don't suppose anyone is really interested.
My reason for starting this is to catalogue the games I have been playing, I have posted a few on LAF but there are lots more, I have enjoyed doing the write ups as much as playing the games and I would like to be able to keep them all in one place.

I hope to get some feed back from other like minded lost souls with ideas for scenarios and mechanisms for improving and running games and maybe even how I write about them, I am very long winded, but you know that by now.


I don't envision showing off my figure painting skills for reasons that will be apparent, fortunately my failing eyesight makes my figures seem better than when they are photographed and magnified. I am however re-doing a lot of my scenery to try and improve the look of my games and advice will always be welcome on that subject.

Having finally set up a google account specifically for wargaming it will enable me to keep up with some of the Blogs I read on an ad hoc basis, so that should cut down on my gaming and painting time no end. ;-)
 
So to wrap up I am going to post a picture of my last game played a few nights ago, just to see if I can.

If there's anybody out there let me know – thanks for reading.


16 comments:

  1. Great start, John. You already have 2 more followers than my blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Martin - thanks for stopping by. I started the Google account so I could follow about half a dozen blogs, yours amongst them. Don't seem to be able to get 'follow' to work for me, not had time to work out what I'm doing wrong. You may be getting a mail seeking professional advice 😁

      Delete
  2. Wonderful to see you starting your own blog, John. I am following you and I will promote your blog on my own blog. If you need any help or advice regarding blogging or hobby related matters, please don't hesitate to ask.

    All the best from Bryan aka Vampifan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bryan that's a very kind offer of advice, I don't know why but I sort of thought setting up the blog would be easy but I've found bits of it much less intuitive than I expected. So I may well be taking you up on that offer.
      I appreciate you following my blog, hopefully you will get a bit of a smile out of reading some of the games reports.

      Delete
  3. I have to admit, like what you've said, zombies make the perfect opponent in solo games!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Roy thanks for taking the time to let me know you are there.
      Yes the zombies kick started my return to gaming but the rules and my interpretation of them has led me on to other genres, I'm quite keen to try and get some horror going, I've tried Chaos in Carpathia but it didn't quite do it for me, so probably watch this space. Just ordered some cows, sheep and other stuff from Col Bill for Neolithic gaming, which for me seems to have some mileage.

      Delete
    2. It was a 7TV magazine article in WSS, written by some chap who I later found out was a fellow blogger (Simon Moore, aka Blaxkleric) that pulled me back into gaming. At that time I was solo gaming, so I went with Crooked Dice's 7ombieTV rules even though zombies were something I'd never looked at before in gaming or elsewhere.

      I'm currently working on a Star Trek solo rpg-lite game, featuring zombie randomness, and am buying in bits and pieces so I can start work on it all. I have to admit that its going to be influenced by Bryan's WOIN sci-fi campaign and how he has presented it on his second blog.

      Thanks for letting me know about the Col. Bills order. I'm just a member of staff, but I do try and help Stu out as much as I can.
      Just in case you hadn't spotted the announcements that Stu and myself have been posting across the Internet. There'll probably be a slight delay in dispatching mail orders from 2nd January to the 10th, due to an unforeseen event effecting Stu. Nothing major, so things should right themselves quickly and things will be back to normal asap.

      Delete
    3. I've seen Blaxkleric posting on 3 of the Blogs I've been reading lately, not had chance to check out his Blog yet.
      Sorry I misled you, I have already received the cows etc, they were part of my Christmas present and are now undercoated and awaiting paint. Which with my rate of painting will be some time yet.

      Delete
  4. Hi John, just managed to drop by to congratulate you on launching your own blog :-)
    This is looking rather excellent, and I've already added it to my "Blog List", but like you I'm having trouble "Following" other peoples blogs (I'll have another attempt at figuring out what's going wrong asap)
    Blimey! The good old - bad old days of SoA..... I'd managed to erase that episode from my memory banks, thanks for reminding me of the "Day of the Rules lawyer" (I think) ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the welcome, Greg I appreciate you taking the time and adding me to your blog list. SoA slingshot used to be 50% complaints and arguments about the rules, I much prefer solo or cooperative to competitive gaming.

      Delete
  5. Sometimes when you try to follow someones blog, using the Followers button on a blog, it just doesn't work.

    What I then do is take the blog's Internet address - http://vagabondswargamingblog.blogspot.co.uk - in this case and manually add it to the 'Blogs I Follow' on my Blogger dashboard [click on the pencil button, then on the 'Add' button, where you put the blog's address into the URL bar and press 'next'. Then press 'Follow'.

    That might help and sort the problem out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for this Roy, there is one blog I want to follow and he only has Google + so I will try this if I can't do it another way.

      Delete
  6. Hahaha, I found Bryan’s blog when I started getting a hankering for zombie apocalypse wargaming. His Vampifan campaign was instrumental in shaping my own ATZ exploits. As for Whiteface, I was gutted to discover he had stopped blogging. Enjoy ATZ, I think it’s an amazing solo game and is my go to system for my campaigns

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - Bryan has a lot to answer for.;-) I suppose most gamers move on, one way or another. My early games were zombie ones but now they tend to be more pulpy in style, although recently I've played a few palaeolithic ones that have been fun and you don't need much scenery :-)

      Delete
  7. Hi John, good luck with your blog(s) I'llcatch up as time allows.
    I too remember WHiteface's blog and do ocassionally still refer backto it for inspiratin]on.

    ReplyDelete