Welcome

A Warm Welcome to my Blog




Monday 2 July 2018

Gothic Horror - The Hunt for Mary Scroggins Continues - Part 3


It’s a full moon and two Nosferatu roam the forest, hungry for blood.

This ancient ritual is performed by the Nosferatu before the hunt and slaughter of innocents. Well Sister Monica of the Order of Perpetual Pain might be an innocent, although I doubt Sir Marmaduke Langdale is.
Part 1 and 2 of this story are the previous 2 posts.

The sun is sinking beyond the mountains to the west, the Nosferatu are preparing for the blood slaughter.

The sun has set and the full moon has arisen, the Nosferatu are at the height of their powers, tonight there will be blood staining the soil of this place, sacred to the Undead, they will be renewed and will rejuvenate yet again.

They creep silently towards the log cabin, Sir Marmaduke has refused to go into the squalid hovel, the stench of the inmates is still strong, it may never disappear. Sister Monica is preparing a meal, a lamb from the size of the animal on the spit, but we may never know the truth unless a miracle happens and they survive the onslaught of the Nosferatu.

There is a small fire burning, the flames providing feeble comfort for the disconsolate party, their thoughts are with the main group who are searching for Mary Scroggins and they are wondering how goes it with them. Where are they tonight, did they reach Much Piddling in the Marsh, is Mary Scroggins safe?

Moving slowly and stealthily the Nosferatu approach the cabin.

The clouds part and the moon shines down on Bellatrix the strange woman whose only companion is an old threadbare Teddy, Sir M is wondering how she lost her mind and why she carries the bear, the Nosferatu is only thinking of his next blood meal, and who will it be. He can hear the chain rattle as Bellatrix stirs, but she only feels her body quiver as the blood runs hot in her veins, is this excitement, passion or fear, she doesn’t know, but something is happening here.

Monmouth is sure there’s something out there, he knows he can run faster than Sister Monica and is not afraid but how will he be able to live with himself if he leaves his old commander behind, he knows he can’t run faster than Sister Monica if he is carrying Sir M on his back. He also knows Sir M will not let him run.

Life is a conundrum and it looks as though he will have to stay and be brave because he’s too much of a coward to run.

He hears a slight sound and turns that way, eyes peering into the dark forest, illuminated feebly by the moonlight, but there is nothing to be seen, could this just be his imagination, he doesn’t think so.

He takes a tighter grip on his musket.

The other Nosferatu slides close to Bellatrix, she can hear his shallow breathing, she is shaking – with fear – with passion, how can we tell. He slowly and secretly leans over the quivering inmate, his mouth touches her neck, he kisses her, she moans in ecstasy – is that blood, it’s too dark to see, she slumps quietly down, moving convulsively and rhythmically and he passes on.

That does look like blood, around his mouth and a dark stain grows larger on the ground where she lays, silently - still.

The fire crackles, the meat sizzles on the spit, they are all as happy as they can be, with tension and the sweet smell of roasting meat in the air, happy but not as happy as the Nosferatu.

The Nosferatu steps from behind the cabin, Monmouth turns, their eyes lock, he feels light headed, dizzy almost and looses 1 Con as his life starts to drain away from him and into the age old killer in front of him. He feels fear chill his bones, and a warm wetness in his boots.

The other Nosferatu steps into the clearing from behind the gnarled forbidding old tree, Sister Monica looks up, their eyes lock, he is disconcerted, this woman in the bat like cape is glaring back at him – he feels an iron will – almost as strong as his own. They both shake their heads imperceptibly and lock eyes again.

Monmouth summons all his willpower, he feels he is overcoming the light-headedness but no, he drifts away once more, another -1 Con.

Sister Monica of the Order of Perpetual Pain, her of the Steely Glare faces the most deadly enemy she has ever encountered. He has never known such resistance to his powers before, and from a woman.

The silent struggle for domination continues.

Meanwhile Monmouth slips away quietly and drops to the floor, there is no physical damage to be seen, but he is still and silent and does not appear to be breathing.

The Nosferatu kneels, a second meal so soon, ahh it’s good to be Undead.

***BANG***

Sir Marmaduke is not a man to be trifled with, he was watching the combat of wills and knew Monmouth would be the loser, and though wounded and incapacitated as he is Sir M was ready. With a steady hand and the skill of long years of practice he put a bullet through the head of the Nosferatu.

This required a throw of 6 to hit followed by 1 to hit the head, no where else would have killed the foul creature. It requires a cool head in a hot situation, and he has one.

The noise distracts Sister Monica’s opponent, he feels a sharp pain in his head, just behind his eyes, what is happening – the bat like woman is hurting him, -1 Con. This just can’t be - he has lived for centuries and not known pain before.

He sees his fellow Nosferatu fall, that can’t have happened, they have hunted together for 245 years, he can’t be dead. They are the Undead.

The pain is getting worse but he fights like he’s never had to before and holds it off. With renewed effort he attacks but the pain starts again, his legs are getting weak, -2 Con. The bat woman is getting larger – stronger but he makes a super Nosferatu effort and sees the woman stagger back with a look of anguish in her eyes. A feeling of triumph courses through him, the puny human, how can she prevail.

They lock wills again, neither gets the advantage - but

finally the loss of his friend and the will of the woman are too much and he succumbs to her steely gaze and slumps to the floor.

Sister Monica from the Order of Perpetual Pain has been trained well, her Mother Superior will be proud, if Sister Monica is ever able to return to the Monastery and tell her tale.

The number of roadside graves from Little Piddling to Much Piddling increase.

We now know that Mary Scroggins has been found, but she is no longer the Mary Scroggins who left Little Piddling. She and her paramour the un-named Vampire Lord are loose in the forest.

Sister Monica and Sir Marmaduke Langdale have survived the night but at a terrible cost. How are the rest of the party faring, have they made it to Much Piddling in the Marsh, did they spend the night in the forest, are they still alive, will they ever be seen again…. OK I’ll stop that now.

You’ll just have to tune in next time to find out.

To be continued ………………………

If you are still here - thanks for reading and I greatly appreciate any thoughts and comments you make.

For this one story I tried to change my style to give a more dramatic and less humorous narrative, I am interested in your thoughts.
a) did you notice and
b) was it effective or not. You don't need to hurt my feelings and say it was crap, but be truthful. I've read it and don't know!

Thanks to Frank I've tried to up my game by taking dramatic photographs, I don't think I succeeded but he gave me the inspiration to try.

Just got back home after my previous post, so will be a little while catching up on the excellent blogs I usually read.
Cheers.

50 comments:

  1. Hi, John. So nice to have you back. I really liked your tale. There is a time for humour and a time for seriousness and I greatly applaud your change in narrative style. For me, it worked well and was entirely appropriate for this chapter of your story.
    Once again it was a strong-willed woman, Sister Monica, who was the star of the show but kudos to Monmouth for that 1 in 36 shot! That surely beat the odds. However, will they be so lucky against Vampirella and the Count? I don't have to tell you who I'm rooting for! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Bryan, I'm really starting to worry about introducing Vampirella into this story, I hope you can take it on the chin if she doesn't come through. I'm seriously wondering about introducing another figure as a stand in.

      Delete
    2. Ah, John, have no fear about Vampirella. If she "dies" here she'll just rise again, more powerful than ever. In the comics, she has "died" a few times and always returned. So will it be here.

      By the way, when I've done night time shooting I've waited until the sun has gone down, switch off all the lights and shoot my gaming board using only the built in flash-light of my camera. It gives some very moody and atmospheric shots.

      Delete
    3. Well that's a load off my mind I don't mind telling you, rising from the dead sounds like most of my characters.

      With the shots, I did them twice, once with all the lights on, I live in an old cottage and there is not a lot of light comes through the windows so I have 4 angle lamps over the table. Then once again with only 1 light on, I didn't know if it would work or not so wanted something to use if it didn't.
      If you look at the pictures the shadows are not always from the same side because I did not think to have the same light on each time - Dohhh.

      I'll try the flash and see how it goes.
      Cheers

      Delete
  2. Wonderful! I certainly enjoyed the narrative and there is still much to chortle at, so I think you have a wonderful balance. Loved the moody photography with the shadows and what a shot by Sir M!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael, I need to work at the lighting I think but it has potential.

      Delete
  3. A+ John, you ticked all the box's in my book, the change in cameraman work I don't know how you pulled it off but it felt as if you shot this under a full moon :)

    To answer your question John, yes I noticed very early on that the script was different from your normal style & while I really enjoy the humor you put into to it I think I'd agree with what Bryan said above, bring on the next chapter & bring on more whiskey & bring on more Penny, in other words keep up the good work mate :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frank I can't tell a lie, I set the table up in the garden and shot the sequence by moonlight. The neighbours think I'm bonkers, especially when I explained it was to try and impress an Irish Impresario who runs a studio called Nickle and Dime in Belfast.
      I've been thinking of names for my studio, I wasn't impressed with a Penny Farthing, I was thinking about Two Bob and Change Studio, or Half a Crown Studio or Maybe The Silver Penny Studios.

      Only joking about the moonlight - although I bet it would work well.

      Delete
    2. Lol I'd guess that anyone who's not in this hobby but knows what we do would think were all bonkers mate, I still think Penny Farthing would be best for your studio's giving that your a Vagabond, though I do like Two Bob & Change.

      Yes I agree with you that shooting outside in the Moonlight would work, I'll try it out sometime & let you know if it works :)

      Delete
    3. Well we certainly have the weather to try outside photos at night.

      You don't suppose I could copyright the idea and get commission?

      Maybe not

      Delete
  4. Great to see some old "West Wind" "Vampire Wars" minis in action, Vagabond, and what a marvellous read it was too. Tip top work by Sister Monica and Sir Marmaduke Langdale - loved every minute of this :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blax thanks for the encouragement. The West Wind figures are really quirky, at first I looked at them and thought how strange they were, now I think they are brilliant, whoever sculpted them has managed to get some fantastic characterisation into them.

      Delete
  5. I thoroughly enjoyed this tale of high adventure

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Phil thanks for letting me know I'm maybe on the right lines.
      Cheers

      Delete
  6. The style change John didn't distract from the story, and both the styles you have shown have merit, it might be you use one style over the other depending on the chapter your writing at the time.
    Sir M and the nun did well to fend off the Nosferatu, wonder if Bellatrix will rise from the grave as a member of the undead ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dave, I'm not much of a writer and so am comfortable with my normal flippant style, trying to write something with a bit more prose and literate style is not what I'm comfortable with which is why this was a departure for me.

      I was pleased with Sir M and the Nun, I didn't expect them to survive so yet another turn up for the books.

      Bellatrix is such an amazing figure I just know she'll be back, if she has to claw her way back out from her grave.

      Delete
  7. My memory is not the best, so I have to admit I didn't notice a difference in tone. In any event it's a fun report and good atmospheric shots (I mean, camera-work) of moonlighting (or was it moonshine...? ha!). As for the "trick" shot, as the late great Terry Pratchett wrote, "million-to-one chances crop up nine times out of ten".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Fitz - well I'm glad you enjoyed it even if my Shakespearian prose didn't move you.
      Terry Pratchett could always come up with a good quote, I should re-read his books so I can steal some. ;)

      Delete
  8. Well, I think you nailed it buddy :-)
    The opening sequence with "well, Sister Monica might not be an innocent" set the tone for your more familiar styles, but the tone soon changed (with a brief relapse concerning the identity of the supper - and you never DID tell us what it was, even though our heroes survived the night ;-) )
    The tone was spot on I'd say, and it was yet another cracking AAR!

    Just to reinforce my appraisal, I loved the "night time" photography, but never noticed the change in shadow angle you mentioned in one of the comments - I was simply too engrossed in the story!

    "To be continued" was just the icing on the cake! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Greg, I did write it originally in my usual way to go with the daylight photography but changed it all for what I hoped was a more Gothic night time scene.
      Obviously I didn't proof read it fully enough :)

      Delete
  9. John, I agree with the comments from the other chaps. The tone was appropriate and still highly readable and entertaining, the photos were terrific and I didn’t notice the shadows were in the wrong place til you mentioned it... thanks for another cracking episode

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your thoughts, I see the next episode to be along similar lines to this one so I'm intending trying to refine both the photos and writing. It's all a learning experience!

      Delete
  10. Awesome minis and table. The old Gothic Horror range has some true gems in the range. I must get my Wulfen Jaegars painted some day. Really enjoying your write ups of these games the names and setting are top notch! I wish I had your way of thinking when telling game reports.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simon, the Wulfen Jaegers are some amazing figures and you would make a brill job of painting them.

      Delete
  11. I for one immediately noticed the more foreboding and serious tone of your excellent narrative; I also notcied the photography had a 'dom and gloom' aspect to it suberbly reflecting the game as being at night (slight blue filter?).
    I must admit that I initially did think that the two Nosferatu would provide a sumerous interlude - how wrong could I have been.
    I can't say I like your more flippant attitude to the death and horror going on or the very serious (disturbing) aspect of this current scenario. Well done though on both fronts and mixing up the styles is no bad thing.
    great scenario tht could have gone very badly (even worse than it had already)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joe, thanks for your thoughts, I appreciate you letting me know.

      Delete
    2. Just to clarify (haing read my comment again)
      I like both your styles!

      Delete
    3. Cheers Joe, I'm a bit worried that you might have been a bit offended, reading your 4th line, sorry if that's the case.

      Delete
    4. I very much doubt that a game could offend me, the key part of the sentence is OR.

      Delete
  12. The tension building up to the first encounter was palatable thanks to your narrative and the lighting effects. I particularly liked how you adjusted the light to show the two blood suckers in the dark when the sun went down. Very atmospheric, so well done on that aspect. When I read "The fire crackles, the meat sizzles on the spit", I could actually see the fat dripping onto the embers along with the sizzling of the embers. it had the desired effect on me because I suddenly felt hungry. The 'laffs' were still there of course, delivered with your personal signature touch and content,..especially, "He feels fear chill his bones, and a warm wetness in his boots." which made me smile. (I would have chuckled out loud, but sitting on the edge of my seat took precedence. The physic battles of the minds was well described and I like the way you added and updated the die throw results to show the progress. I was too far into the story and moment to be distracted by it. All up a very good story and a superb delivery. I say this because when i finished reading, I got a slight jolt back into my reality and it takes something magical for an old bugger like me to get that these days. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi S.W. thanks for your comprehensive and very nice comments, I guess it all goes back to your advice when I wrote the first couple of games on LAF and was unsure about how I should try and write and who I was trying to please, you said to write how you want. Which is what I've done since, so a big thanks for that.
      I'm pleased you are still enjoying the stories of the games, hopefully that will continue.
      I'm still playing around with the rules and results for the mind games, I'm sort of assuming that a vampire will try and mesmerize it's victim before going in for the bite, but if necessary will fight physically as well. So there is a battle of wills similar to a physical battle. I was reasonably pleased with the outcome but of course didn't make too many notes so next time it will be different.
      I think it's a full moon in my wargames room tonight so hopefully I will find out what happens next.
      Cheers

      Delete
  13. Yes, I've noticed your change of narrative style. And I've missed you typical British humor! :O)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Look this is serious stuff now, the moon is out - there's vampires abroad and a stiff upper lip and an understated humour just wont cut it. We need silver bullets, stakes and beheading knives.

    Pleased you noticed though.
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  15. As an old - I mean EXPERIENCED - vampire hunter with my own bloody share of adventures, let me say that it's when you shot'em with the silver bullets, stake their dark cold hearts and then behead'em with those big blades... well my friend, that's when you think the're gone for good, just to see when they all came back to get to you again - because they always do, you can count on that - that's EXACTLY when you need a pretty good humor! ;O)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying to remember all those films from a long time ago, one that sticks in my mind was Count Yorga - Vampire, might not be the correct title but right at the end when you thought everything was alright - it wasn't, I jumped out of my seat into the to the lap of the 1st Mrs V, it wasn't a good start to a relationship that ended badly. The other was when I was very young and an Abbott and Costello Film, they were being chased by a mummy or zombie and one of them knocked on the door to room and said "Are you in there Mr Zomb" it was behind them - why does the macabre stick with you?

      Delete
    2. A few minutes ago I was watching the great Ray Liotta in SHADES OF BLUE (the TV series), telling his partner in a crooked cop scheme that you can do all you can to foresee things, but sometimes when you least expect something comes from nowhere and gets you from behind! :O)

      BTW: SHADES OF BLUE is a great series, and has J-Lo as we like to see her: kicking ass and being dirty and sexy as heck! :O)

      https://eztv.ag/search/shades-of-blue

      ;O)

      Delete
    3. I did have to look up J-Lo on Google to see who you were talking about - I don't get out a lot as you must have realized, nor watch much TV, either.
      However as we say around here "something is always going to bite you in the ass" which I guess is what you're saying in a polite way. ;)

      Delete
    4. Wikipedia is our friend:

      Take a look: about J-Lo: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jennifer_Lopez

      About the series: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shades_of_Blue_(TV_series)

      You can download the torrentz of the episodes in the link I've sent you... If you like a realistic police story where all the protagonists are crooked cops stepping precariously in several shades of gray between light and darkness, don't miss it! ;O)

      NOTE: previous comment deleted due to typo errors... Blogger sucks! :O)

      Delete
    5. Yep you're right about Blogger, it used to send an email to let you know someone has commented on a post, since the great cookie crumbles on the 25th May it doesnt. So any comments on old posts get ignored through ignorance of their existence rather than impoliteness of the Blogger. Apparently they say they are fixing it !!! How bad is that.

      Thanks for the info on J-Lo, :)

      Delete
    6. If Google say they're gonna fix something, we must believe for sure. Or rather not! :O)

      And about J-Lo: welcome to the world of pop culture outside the cave, my friend! :O)

      BTW: and talking about caves... I miss your CAVEGIRLS!!! :O)

      Delete
    7. Annoying little Gremlin that, but I have found as Author, if I tick the 'notify me' box when replying to comments on my own Blog then any further comments come through as email alerts.

      Delete
    8. Eduardo I quite like it in my little cave although Mrs V says I should get out a bit more.
      The cave girls will be back but I need to put the Shell Clan stories on here first and I know you and Bryan have read them, so I'm trying to put new stuff up here to give you chance to forget them first.
      Although I've just finished the search for Mary Scroggins and I think some light relief might be in order next so if you don't mind I might just do that.

      Delete
    9. Michael - Thanks for this info, it really bugs me that some one might take the time and trouble to say "I've read your drivel and it's OK so carry on" and for me not to see it and thank them for taking the time to let me know it's drivel.
      As I was typing this the first time Blogger crashed, I think they are watching me.
      Cheers

      Delete
    10. John if you are on Google's watchlist then there is no hope for you! :D
      As for the drivel, keep it coming.

      Delete
    11. Michael, if they're watching me they're watching you too.;)

      Delete
  16. Absolutely brilliant John! Your AAR's continue to be top notch and something I look forward to reading through when I see them come up :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ivor you are so kind to say so, I'm really pleased that you enjoy this bit of nonsense and thanks for letting me know.
      You've been blogging a long time I know, so I don't need to tell you a small bit of encouragement goes a long way.
      Thanks

      Delete
  17. A good tale. I like the more silly approach, sort of goes with my character, but drama is by no means bad, especially when you dela with nuns :-D
    So, do what suits you! I will enjoy it any way

    ReplyDelete
  18. I agree about the silly style and you do it so well. I wanted to try something a bit different to see if I could, not sure about the results.
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete