Welcome

A Warm Welcome to my Blog




Sunday 26 August 2018

NUTS - Fly Trap - Game 6

“Hiya Sergeant Ryan, Look I’ve got a little job for you, shouldn’t be too difficult, you’re getting a reputation around here for successful missions, this should be quite straight forward”. “Oh No what has the idiot committed me to now”. The idiot is my Captain a veteran of about 3 weeks, only known my name for 1 of those.

“We are having a little trouble with intel he said straight faced”. Yes I know was what I wanted to say but it came out as “oh really”.

“Yes and upstairs thinks we should go and get a German to ask what is going on, so could you go and get us a prisoner, I have map coordinates of one of their bunkers”.

GREAT!!!!

It just gets worse!

“Ok guys this should be easy”, they look at me as if I am a raving lunatic, what – “you want us to jump into a German bunker and bring some guy out, without shooting him first”. “Well yes that’s kinda the plan”. “What about his mates”. “Well you can shoot them if you like” was all I could think to reply.



We spent some time reconnoitring the bunker, looks like there are only 2 men in there, ummm this could be easier than I thought. “OK BAR on the left to provide covering fire McCaulay you have Dokes loading for you again, do as he says OK”. “Cpl Bolton take 2 men off to the right and protect my flank, the rest of you with me, Wilson – stay close”. You know by now I rely on Wilson both to get the job done and keep me alive so I can keep everyone else alive.

As we moved over towards the bunker, 3 separate PEF’s turned out to be nothing, this is going very well. We got to the bunker without being spotted, the rear door was open, these guys are really looking to get it.

We burst in, 2 men inside, both rep 3 easy meat, Wilson rep 6 went for 1 guy, me rep 4 and Cornwall rep 5 went for the other guy. Wilson subdued his man but our man fought like a tiger and put both of us down, OOF.

I still had Samson rep 3 outside, but he failed to activate. My tiger attacked Wilson and the guy he had subdued on an extraordinary dice throw was also able to attack Wilson. They killed him. Samson saw this and ran away.
Wilson my wing man is dead, what am I going to do. Lying on the floor OOF probably get killed or go to a camp was all that I came up with.

Samson ran, but not away, he ran to Cpl Bolton, who calmed him down and shouting to the men “they can’t take the Sarge- lets go”, leading from the front he set off for the bunker, only to run into a LMG team. Bolton’s blood was up and the LMG was down before anyone knew it. Just then one of the men in the bunker opened fire and Bolton was stunned by a splinter from a nearby tree. The latest replacement Townsend ran away but the other new man Green provided a steadying influence on Samson and together they charged over to the bunker, dived in and went for the 2 Germans like hounds from hell, well that’s what I told the Captain later when recommending them for a medal. Green rep 4 and Samson Rep 3 v 2 Germans both rep 3, an even fight. Green subdued his man and Samson put his man OOF. Mission accomplished, I don’t know how they make it look so easy. All we have to do is get me and Cornwall (the wounded) and the prisoner out of here and back to our lines. Which we did, well they did.

Cornwall and I both recovered quickly and will be back for the next mission but Wilson is DEAD.

As a post script Townsend the new man refused to come back to the squad or indeed anywhere near danger and so is residing in prison, we don’t need men we can’t trust to back us up, so I am pleased he is gone, even though I agree with his sentiments. Green goes from Rep 4 to 5 – well deserved.

We now have another 2 new men Harris and Davidson, we will see how they work out. Till next time.



Till next time was written about 2 years ago so I guess there wont be a next time, but you never know. I got 6 scenarios/games in during a period of 3 days, drank a lot of alcohol and generally had a great time, but don't mention this to Mrs V, she might not approve.

Hope you’ve enjoyed the series and I should be back home soon so I can put some pictures into the games.

If you are still here - thanks for reading.
Cheers

12 comments:

  1. I thought you were done for that time John, but you've trained the lads well & they bailed you out (once again:) this has been very enjoyable but I pay to see movies & by God movies I shall have :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Frank I've gotten home so now have unlimited internet again, so the future posts will be in the usual comic book style with plenty of pictures as well as words. ;)

      Lights, camera, ACTION.

      Delete
  2. This has been a most enjoyable mini-campaign to read about, John. If ever you fancy returning to it in the future, please do... and perhaps next time employ a cameraman! I'm glad Sergeant Ryan survived. Both he and his men went through a lot together in such a short time. I salute them all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Bryan, they've not been my most successful posts but by heck they were good stripped down games to play. Thanks for your encouragement, really appreciate it.
      In this game I nearly got killed which puts a bit of a damper on things for an ongoing campaign, so it's probably just as well I didn't go back to it as it's one of my more successful endings.

      Delete
  3. Movies are good, but radio plays are fine, too. :)

    Another enjoyable report. Mission accomplished, although at a cost.

    Did you mean Mrs. V might not approve of drinking of a lot of alcohol or of having a great time? :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Fitz I agree with you about radio but I guess we all like to look at pictures even if it's just to break up a block of text. Yes 6 games and every one was successful although as you say, at a cost. Maybe I should take up competitive wargaming again:)

      Drinking and playing games into the early hours tend to be frowned upon :) :) especially waking her up when I come to bed and want to explain my game to her.

      Delete
  4. Great ending to the series John, It has been a great set of games, even though it had no pictures, so it was more like reading a book which is not a bad thing at all. Look forward to seeing what you show us next now your back

    ReplyDelete
  5. I’ve enjoyed these immensely John, fab read and with no pics to distract me (although I really love your tables) I found that I really followed the flow of the game.

    RIP Wilson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andy that's very nice of you to say so, thanks. When I played and wrote up these games it was in a very short space of time and I hoped I was creating that sense of urgency and edginess that the games generated.
      With most of my games I re-read the story and my jokes still make me smile (sad I know) and it's doesn't matter if the writing is crap but with the ones I've done that are in a more serious style, I re-read them and don't know if I convey a reasonable story or not. I was never very good with English Essay's at school and so I don't suppose I've improved over the years.

      Delete
  6. Hello John! Love your projects and your blog.You now have a new follower. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ptr, that's very nice of you to say so and welcome aboard. I don't see your avatar would you be Peter L?

      Delete