Welcome

A Warm Welcome to my Blog




Thursday 27 February 2020

Memories of an old French Sea Dog - Heart of Oak were our Ships

Well Baptiste, if you would care to throw a couple of logs on the fire maybe I could tell you about Capitaine Roubert and the Genereux, one of the finest ships in the French Navy and the most devastating broadside I had ever seen.

Yes another Brandy would be nice but could you make it the vintage of 98, I’m very partial to that year. Yes, yes my young friend, I know it’s expensive but the story I have to tell will make it seem well worth the expense, besides the rest of these fine fellows here will know you are a man of substance and good taste and that is a reputation to cultivate. Much like my own reputation as a brave French sea dog has been gained in sweat, blood and bravery over many hard years at sea and that can never be taken away.

Ahh the 98 vintage is truly a great one, it warms these old bones, just another sip and I will start my tale.

I was an Aspirant then, I think the English call the post a Midshipman which is a strange term, but then the English are a strange race. I had just been transferred to the Genereux, my father had some influence with the Navy, I was never sure what it was, as he was the Doorkeeper at Madam Fifi’s the finest Brothel in Paris but it was enough to get me onto the Genereux and that’s where I started my life at sea.

We had instructions to blockade the English in a small port, or open anchorage, it’s a long time ago and I don’t remember small details so well anymore.

We didn’t know what we would find there but Capitaine Roubert was a bold and brave fellow, Vagabond he said to me, he knew my name and I was so proud, Vagabond my lad we will beard the Englishman in his bed. How do you think we should go about this business he asked me. Me - just an Aspirant, but he valued my opinion back then did Capitaine Roubert, and this was before I won renown and favour with my famous exploits. Well Capitaine I started to say when he shouted orders to the helmsman to alter course to 270’ and gave a string of orders to the Premier Lieutenant. 

Well he said to me, we will approach the harbour, keeping the island between us and them, it will be dark soon and they will not see us. I shall land a storming party on the island and take their forts and turn the guns onto the English if they try and escape. But Sir, I started to say before he interrupted by issuing more orders to the Premier Lieutenant. Capitaine Roubert strolled off before I could explain how he should deal with any English ships we found there.

I saw land as we approached and eventually made out the island against the darkness of the backcloth of the mainland, this is harder than it might appear to you landsmen but believe me it is a thing a sailor learns fast or drowns soon.

We hove too, that is we turned the ship into the wind and it gently pushed us backwards, but by cunning use of the rudder and the sails we held our position off the island. I approached the Capitaine and asked if I could lead the landing party, he smiled gently and shook his head, no my lad, you are far more valuable on board the ship and he let the Sous Lieutenant lead the men ashore. He did a good job, maybe not as swift and gallant as I would have been but before too long they had taken both of the small forts and imprisoned the garrisons, almost without a shot being fired.

We found out from the garrison that there was only one British ship there, but the bad news was that she was the Royal George a 100 gun ship I believe and we only carried 74 guns, it was going to be a real test of courage and seamanship but our Capitaine was not in the least dismayed, we have the wind with us and that is worth 50 guns he said to me as he passed.

We knew the Royal George would beat out of the anchorage but we didn’t know which side of the Island she would pass. When daylight broke we could see she was beating out of the south west channel, it was very narrow and I don’t suppose their Captain would have tried that manoeuvre if it hadn’t been absolutely necessary.

Capitaine Roubert spoke to the Premier Lieutenant and Genereux turned to starboard and picked up speed.

This happened just as the British ship turned to larboard to avoid the headland and came straight towards us.

Tirer shouted our Capitaine and all the starboard guns fired, our ship staggered from the explosive roar of the broadside and the Royal George disappeared from view in a cloud of smoke.

As luck would have it, the western most fortification fired their guns at the same time, both of us raking the enemy ship to devastating effect.

It was a tremendous strike.

The Royal George was holed below the water line, the Main mast was shot through and toppled into the water, the crew were decimated but much worse than all of that was the fire. We must have hit a powder magazine or maybe the galley stove, whatever it was a huge gout of flame gushed up into the air and I could see men running around, some jumped overboard and started to try and get to the island, but most could not even swim. They were my enemy but it was heartbreaking to see such devastation inflicted on fellow seamen.

The damage after one broadside was frightening but the fire would cause 3 damage points each turn and would rage until it was put out, the problem was that the crew numbers had been halved, there were not enough of them to extinguish the fire before the ship burned to the water line. All was lost.

We continued to turn to starboard as we reloaded our guns, but every one of us could see the Royal George was doomed, would Capitaine Roubert order another broadside into to our stricken enemy?

The Royal George meanwhile had tried to turn to starboard and away from the island before she ran aground, a brave and maybe foolish move under the circumstances.

Her Captain must have realized that his ship could not survive and so he turned again and ran her aground, the crew leaping off into the shallows as she quickly burned to the water line.

The Royal George was killed by fire, I’ve never seen such devastation in such a short time in all my years at sea. What do you mean Baptiste, no I did not deceive you into thinking the story would last any longer than the brandy, they were both gone in a very short time.

This was the Genereux’s card, no damage and the 2 missing crew were the ones sent ashore to take and then man the forts guns.

A famous and dreadful victory, Captain Roubert was promoted and I remained behind on the Genereux to make a name for myself, but Baptiste that story will have to be told another day, it’s time I took these weary bones to my bed, storytelling and 98 Brandy always makes me weary and happy at the same time.

Adieu my friend.



I am playing through some old scenarios from the Sails of Glory site and this is the second one I've done. It was a short game as you can see if you got this far, I'm still a novice with the rules but I'm enjoying playing with the ships, they look better in the bathtub than my rubber ducks.

Bon voyage mon amies.

29 comments:

  1. I have to say yo make this look more interesting than I had preciously given it credit. Lovely narrative John.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael, the jury is still out on this. I've never come across a naval game that wasn't too complex and detailed, and therefore slow. This one has an elegant movement system, the same basically as Wings of War, the damage calculation is a number of chits out of a bag, so easy, I'm just not sure how exciting it is.
      I love the ships but the bases are ugly and a distraction for me as well but I'm enjoying being an old French sea dog.

      Delete
  2. A great tale John, but 98 brandy's to release the story seems a little excessive ! LOL
    Was a short game but that's the way it goes sometimes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dave I don't think 98 brandies is excessive - but it would take a couple of nights to consume them.

      Delete
  3. That's a very good looking game, but there's a ot of cardboard involved ! I can't see this system being used for more than two or three ships on each side though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right Joe, it's not for big battles although they have fought Trafalgar in 1 to 1 scale with quite a few players. The idea of lining up two rows of ships and firing at each other until one lot is dead is about as interesting as watching paint dry in my humble opinion.
      What I've been enthused about is the number of relatively small scale ship actions that took place, and I also read all the Jack Aubery books and was very taken by them, which surprised me a lot, there were also lots of ideas for games and I'm about to re-read them to try and cull the ideas.
      On the Sails of Glory site they have lots of small scenarios for things like cutting out expeditions and tricky sailing situations, as this one was. Trying to get out of the harbour was a nightmare as you saw. There was also a night landing and attack on the 2 forts that I sort of glossed over in my story and had a big impact on the outcome.

      Delete
  4. This one of the best Sails of Glory AAR`s I have ever seen. Sadly, they are rather lacking on You Tube (I do so love to transfer battle reports to the big TV screen and watch them in full glory on a grand 72 inch screen). I was extremely surprise to learn you are a novice at this game as you seem to have a deep grasp of your subject... but then again (to mis-quote Wells a moment) it is `the better sort of chap` who reads the Jack Aubery books. Your writing style is what really shines the best when you write your narrative naval accounts (over a glass a vintage 98 brandy of course): I think this is your falté, though having said that, you write a darn good game whatever subject you chose to pen and photograph. But yeah, this is mighty stuff, because it was so intensely enjoyable to read and follow along with.

    I was rooting for the Royal George throughout .. I always seem to cheer for the underdog, though she shouldn't have been, but the wind track, her tack, the excellent French broadside, and initiative response of her enemy, all worked against the British navy this day, and the 100 guns of that first rate ship of the line did little to save her.. she was dead the moment she took on that bold Capitaine of the brave Genereux. Combined with amazingly fortunate shooting from the crew.

    Were you playing the encounter solo John. I have mostly seen the game played with two players or with teams each side - if playing a bigger game?

    You enthuse me no end with this post, mostly because I am dying to get to grips more with this game. I have played a good half dozen or so encounters since I first bought it (not nearly enough I fear), but always solo. The biggest game I have managed (with some deft book keeping) was five ships against three. It`s doable, but time consuming, yet terrific fun and deeply engaging.

    Truly inspiring, and thank you so much for taking time to share this with us. It`s really quite made my day, and I think will fast become my personal Carlotta Wynn.. i.e. I`ll be re-reading it many times I think.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stevie I'm in the process of re-reading Brigadier Gerrard by Conan Doyle and am basing my character on his. I don't know if you've read the book but Gerrard is as brave as a lion and crows like a cock, but has the brains of a goldfish. I like him immensely. It's all tongue in cheek stuff and I'm pretty sure the Flashman books have their basis here although Flashman is not as amiable as Gerrard.

      The game was solo, there are a couple of A.I. systems I have picked up and one seems to give reasonable results although for this scenario, once I had rolled a dice to decide which side of the island the Royal George would go it was pretty much tacking all the way because there wasn't enough space to do much more. That's obviously why I was hove too on the outside of the island because I had to stop her breaking out and fleeing the table, if I'd picked the wrong side initially I could never have achieved that.

      The scenario gave me the advantage of the wind because I won the previous game, it would have been completly different if the Royal George had the wind behind her, or indeed if she had been on the opposite tack when the 1st broadside was fired as both ships would have blasted each other.
      The other variable was the opposition, it could have been 1 os 2 smaller ships, 1 or 2 equivalent sized ones or as I rolled a 6 it was one ship but bigger. On the whole I got a lucky break, but it would be a scenario to play a few times I think.
      This was my 6th recorded game so I guess I've played about a dozen so far, 6 ships max, but I think it needs a good scenario to avoid becoming a bit if a bash.
      I'm in a campsite nr Narbone in France and have all the comforts of home, i.e. electricity and free internet so I was on the Board Game Geek site in the Sails of Glory section and there us a Norwegian chap called something like Eanar Wetas who has posted a number of campaign scenarios, maybe about a dozen scenarios each in about 5 campaign's. I've downloaded them all but not read anything yet but initial look was interesting.

      Moving on today so internet will be spotty again :(
      Cheers and thanks for your enthusiasm.

      Delete
    2. Hi again John, I`m glad to hear you are currently enjoying the creature comforts and able to relax in front of the dream machine, if only temporarily.

      I haven't read Brigadier Gerrard but I do very much enjoy Conan Doyle. But the moment you likened this character to Flashman, I knew I would like it.

      I have heard Sails of Glory is a poor game system to attempt solo, yet some of the guys over at Anchorage, and you yourself prove this really is not necessarily the case. I enjoy the game immensely playing it alone, though I have never employed the solo A.I. which I am sure works very well. I tend to go for a totally narrative approach and surprise myself with a few well timed home made random elements of my own devising. A touch chaotic and not always wieldy (clunky), but it work for me and my cluttered mind set.

      You have proven beyond any shadow of a doubt, that AoS is a remarkable game, and one extremely suited to solitaire endeavours; especially if you have a nautical tendency and enjoy the grand old age of sail, iron men, and broadsides of lead.

      Delete
    3. The solo AI that I found best was by some chap called Fred Miracle but I use a bit of my limited commonsense to help it along as well. So far so good as they say.

      Delete
  5. That was fantastic. Oh I need to go and find the Patrick O'Brian books now and I`ve been told, since I`ve shown an interest, I simply HAVE to watch the Master and Commander film, which I will.

    You are amazingly good at writing game accounts, Honestly I mean that. I am fast growing to look forward to anything new you write for us, with massive enthusiasm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tarot thats more than kind of you to say so, I'm more than happy to know I'm not just writing for myself.

      If you do decide to read O'Brians books you must start at the beginning and work through them in the order they were written because they are not individual books as such, they are 1 long story. I was hooked on the first book but then struggled with the 2nd and almost gave up but then once into the 3rd one I was away and very sad when I reached the end, but that's just what ticked my boxes.
      It's about 4 years ago since I read them but did so one after the other over the summer which is very unlike me to be so focused. I was fortunate to have them as a full set on my kindle because there's quite a few of them to go at.
      O'Brian was a very knowledgeable man on many subjects and he really likes you to know that fact. I've never had to look up so many words to find their meaning as with his books and I always thought I had a reasonable vocabulary, you may not have the same problem though.

      In my opinion the film, which was an amalgam of 2 books will give you a good indication of the books and the 2 main characters are quite well cast as the characters in the books, so you will get a good idea of the interplay between them which is one of the main thrusts of the storyline. One of the other devices he uses is to finish a book in the middle of the story and you are thinking 'come on mate, you can't do that' then the next book starts exactly where the last stopped.
      The other thing about the books is that he borrowed almost all his storylines from the life of one man who's name I can't spell off the top but is Lord Cochrane or something similar, I still haven't got round to reading the full history of the guy but everytime I come across him, Jack Aubery has been there too.

      Delete
    2. I will be guided by you John and collect and read them in proper order. Due to your words, I have just placed an amazon order for the first four novels, and I have you to thank you that timely advice.

      I do very much enjoy authors who break the conventional mould (such as Tolkien, Mervyn Peake, and Fritz Leiber): they bring a different, and often complex approach to their work, often a far cry from the standard norm, and I do very much like complicated language (English is not my first language, and so I like to improve my ability to use it when ever I can)

      Mr O`Brian sounds like he was an interesting individual. I like unusual people and look forward to discovering him. I have been told, since talking about this subject, his books are hard to find comfort with, but if I could struggle through Stephen Donaldson and stay riveted to his work.. to the very last, I feel confident I shall find endeavouring with this Master, to be a challenge well worth the input.

      I have located a copy of the Master and Commander film, and will get to work on it as soon as maybe, no doubt accompanied with a glass or two of chilled Cava and some chocolate. I hope effectively watching two books in this format wont spoil the pleasure of reading the novels in their correct chronological order.

      Delete
    3. I am astounded that English isn't your 1st language, you use it so effectivly on the Cupboard blog, is Cava a clue as to your nationality? I crossed the border from France to Spain yesterday, heading for the hills behind Benidorm to do some walking and then to Madrid for some culture. Then north for some wine. ;)

      I'll send Stevie an email about the books which hopefully he will pass on.

      Delete
    4. hi hi. pretty close *winks* actually the land of heat, sand and camels (Arabia).

      I just like chilled Cava.. a lot :-)

      Delete
    5. Ha, I'm only about 3000 miles out so as you say pretty close. Heat sand and camels well I quite like them all although I don't think camels like me, I've been thrown off twice and its a long way down, but it's a brilliant way to travel.

      Delete
  6. Great stuff John! The Royal George certainly took a beating. Brilliant narrative as always 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly did, I've never had 3 fires before, it would destroy any ship. Thanks for the comment about the narrative.
      Hope things are good with you.

      Delete
  7. Hardly worth the admission fee never mind a vintage brandy ;) great stuff John, I know you do be hard on the script writer's grasp on the use of English but I can tell you it is way beyond mine, but the real thing that always shines through on your posts is your wonderful sense of humor.

    Enjoy the rest of your trip mate & I hope the weather is better where you are then it is on these isles we both call home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right about the admission fee, one broadside is hardly worth it, hope you enjoyed the ice cream though.
      I can't believe it the sun is shining and I've been sat outside in a T shirt, after our winter so far at home I never thought I would see sunshine again. If it wasn't for the fact that I'm gutted by Brians news my world would be perfect.

      Take care and hang on in the grim north of Europe.

      Delete
    2. Yes terrible news about Bryan, my thoughts are with him as I'am sure is lots of others.

      Delete
  8. Avast, you salty old matelot! I do really like your narrative style reporting on your SoG games. Every time I see your board, it reminds me of when I ran my ship aground on that bloody island! Anyway, great report, although of course from reading your Aubrey, you'll know that the British never lose! Pip, pip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Martin didn't realise you'd seen this, yes ramming an island was a memorable feat, I quite like the old sea dog narrative, it reminds me of someone.

      Delete
  9. Yet another great adventure. Hi old friend, tis me again back from the dead and reporting for duty. Remember the advice I gave you to do what you enjoy and not bend to what you think the mass's want? Yes I'm that one,lol. I've downsized to a unit and am currently organising myself to be on here permanently with regular posting. It's good to be back with the gang again. Stay tuned. I'm the 'yeah I'll play' gamer now,..a some what more suited title that reflects my ol Lead Adventure Forum campaign medals and bars. Hey what.;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dusty good to see you back, hope things are good with you.

      Don't know if you read them but you appeared as Dusty Motte in the last 2 or 3 posts set in Little Whiskey posted in Oct Dec and Jan. Can't remember if you survived or not, many didn't :)

      Delete
    2. I not only read them, but printed them out and filed them. I luv reading battle reports, they make for great ideas to use in mine. Especially when the dynamics are explained along with the narrative as yours are. I'm absolutely chuffed I had the pleasure of staring in your 'Whiskey Wars' production. The fact that I went out minus the final blaze of glory is irrelevant. Serves me right for fightin on the wrong side. I hope to do my first battle report soon. The renovations are just about completed so things are starting to get back to normal. Time to stop piddlin in the marsh as Snappy would say.

      Delete
    3. Look forward to reading your next game story. Pleased to hear things are going along well for you.
      Take care

      Delete
  10. Hello John,

    I've refrained, till now, from formally letting you know about my new tabletop miniatures blog due to the failed attempt at my WGF blog from earlier in the year, and a concern that this new blog would be a similar failure. Anyway, so far it is growing nicely and I'm pushing forward in a concerted effort with one 28mm tabletop gaming project that I can focus on and blog about. If you're interested I'll include a link below.

    Hope you and yours are well.
    Roy

    https://theblogtillideleteit.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Roy, it's good to hear from you, I hope things are going well for you and your parents, it's tricky times we're living through, hopefully we will all come through safely.

    I'll pop on over and see what you're up to.
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete