Welcome

A Warm Welcome to my Blog




Sunday 6 November 2022

The Great Escape - The Camp

There was great rejoicing in the frozen North when we had a visit from the King in the South. Well he’s not really a King himself but I’m sure there’s a Regal ancestor somewhere in the dim and distant past of the reprobate, who is known round these part as The Mad Lord Snapcase.

The celebrations lasted for days, virgins were sacrificed, goats and bullocks roasted by the score, ale and wine consumed in great quantities and we played five games, two of which I've already posted.

Unfortunately the other member of the Triumvirate Doug ex EM4 couldn’t leave his ancestral home, something to do with a pack of hounds and the fact that he gets a nose bleed when travelling North. I personally believe it’s down to the fact that the battery on his motorised scooter needs charging too many times to make it up the Great North Road.

One of the games we played is the new 02 Hundred Rules that the Mad Lord has invested in, and so he sent me instructions on the sort of terrain that would be suitable and Ibuilt it to order, so I thought I should show off. Show it off I mean!

If you read my story about the rescue of the Mad Lord Snapcase (Snappers) and Doug not EM4 (Dougers) you might be familiar with some of these faces, of course it was a few months ago and a lot of wine has gone under the bridge since then so you could refresh your memory it's only a few post's down. Yes - I know it’s pretty unlikely, but you might not be aware of the invasion of East Anglia following the British retreat at Dunkirk and this might make more sense if you are aware of it. Perhaps!!

They appear to be lined up in front of a wooden hut!

They appear to be lined up in front of some German Officers as well, what the heck is going on?

Meinhard Wenke of the Gestapo and Kamilla Altman of the SS haven’t been in East Anglia long but they’ve taken a distinct dislike to the residents of Greater Snoring and are keen to show it.

Following the fracas in Greater Snoring the German Army were quick to respond, rounding up anyone who might have been involved in the rescue of Snappers and Dougers and they’ve shipped them off to an old British Army camp near Thetford.

These camps have every modern convenience.

The ones for the inmates have no doors; there’ll be no tunnelling out through the privy in this camp.

The ones for the guards have doors and paper, well newspaper at least, but it does provide reading matter as you wait for natures call.

More internees are arriving through the main gate. Well it’s the only gate and has a strong guard to stop any escapees.

Gerda is the strong guard and she looks pretty ferocious. Somewhere there’s a dog, a big dog, a Doberman dog but I think Gerda is still more frightening.

The camp is filling up quickly as three more truck loads of dodgy characters are delivered using the locally requisitioned trucks.

There would have been more trucks available but something to do with a sugar shortage at the local shop and sticky fuel will stop most diesel engines I believe.

You can see why Wenke of the Gestapo and Altman of the SS dislike the locals so much.

Some work has been carried out clearing the local forest on the south and west side but it still reaches the wall at the back of the compound.

I wonder if they try and dig the tunnels, Tom, Dick and Harry will they encounter many tree roots and will this slow them down.

Somehow I can’t see Mrs Peacock and Professor Plumbovski digging very far.

Just outside the perimeter fence to the south east there is a rough wooden cross at the head of a small mound of earth. Your guess is as good as mine!

On the inside of the wire is a vegetable patch, I recognise Cabbage but not the other stuff, any ideas?

It looks like the Italians have been seconded to guard duties as Vito patrols the fence line. You don’t know who Vito is? I told you to read the previous story.

Ok that’s the scenery for the Mad Lords game. He’s been painting Commandos, SAS, SBS by the score, as well as German guards by the ones (I think he’ll be the British and I’ll be the Germans) and so there is a faint possibility that he’ll post about it here but as I’ve still got this set up on my table.

And these characters seem to be in the vicinity I might just play a game before I move on to the next element of the extravaganza.

What do you mean, who are they?

Snappers disguised as Sir Henry, Spankers disguised as Isla von Strum. Patsie Jones disguised as Mad Patsie and she seems to have taken a shine to Dougers, disguised as George, or Sir George as he’d like to be known. Bunty Hampster-Crust disguised as Hazel Arnesen and Vaggers disguised as William Morris that well known art and craft man.

I told you to read the previous story.

The buildings are all from EBob Miniatures, they’re printed card, glued to foamboard and are free. Free is good where I come from, although free usually means it’s been stolen.

Pip Pip as the Mad Lord would say.

10 comments:

  1. Excellent looking set up John, and cast. As for some of the other vegetables, I think there are some Leeks and carrots there, but not sure on the rest ! LOL The camp set up and how the guards are laid out looks spot on, and very similar to the Auschwitz exhibit I visited recently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dave, I thought this was quite a fun thing and then I came across some video of the actual camps and I'm not at all sure about it now.
      I have a couple of games on the stocks using this scenery but I'll re-think its use in the future.
      Cheers

      Delete
    2. I don't think you need to rethink the scenery John , as it is a similar set up to a lot of barracks in the UK as well, and the biggest difference is you don't have any crematorium buildings, so I think your safe with your scenery. it was just the pictures of all the prisoners being lined up in front of the guards, reminded me of some of the pictures, which were taken by the German perspective.

      Delete
    3. Thanks for your thoughts Dave, I'll mull it over but I shall be posting the games already played when I can.
      Cheers

      Delete
  2. Fab looking table and miniatures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great lookig set-up (except for the outside loos), very reminscent of a camp I've visited in Durham, many years ago, then used as student accomodation.
    I do think though that this is just a chance to show off every civilian you own, there's such huge numbers of them (lol).
    Looking forward to the writeup of the game too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're probably right about the civilians :) I seem to be on a bit of a roll playing games at the moment, hopefully it will continue.
      Bit of a worry re the student accommodation, I live near Sheffield and all the new buildings going up are to do with the Uni's, I doubt the students would take to wooden hut's nowadays.
      Cheers

      Delete
  4. Excellent setup and figures. Well, I do enjoy old movies such as The Great Escape and other WWII movies. Not to glorify war or anything. Just as adventure or drama or comedy as the case may be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dave, me too. The old films might not have the budgets of modern films but at least they had dialogue and plots that made sense.

      I've played out and written up the rescue attempt, you can decide if it's adventure, drama or comedy ;)
      Cheers

      Delete