Welcome

A Warm Welcome to my Blog




Sunday 4 February 2024

Sheep Rustling in the Debatable Land - The Fight

Sheep Raiding in the Debatable Lands

“Well that’s torn it” said Mad Wullie Snapcase, “they have to be Armstrong’s across the river, looks like we’ll have to fight our way through”. “We’ll have to leave the sheep, they’ll just get in the way” said Dashing Dougie Douglas, “I don’t think Reba can hold them together unless I’m with her”. “Bugger that” I responded, “we’ll drive the sheep straight at them, once they’re in the river they’ll stay on the line of the ford”. My companions looked dubious at that idiotic remark! 

Well I’m not leaving them behind without a fight I continued, lets go. There is a rumour in our valley that I’m a Yorkshireman with all the kindness and generosity of a Scotsman squeezed out of him, but of course that’s ridiculous, but having got the sheep I wasn’t going to give them back meekly.

“If we wrap our scarves around our heads they’ll not recognise us, maybe we can get through without bringing hell and damnation on the rest of our folk”, said Dougie. “We could shout the Grahams war cry” said Wullie, “I can’t remember what it is but I’m sure it’ll come to me”.

Surprisingly we got the sheep moving in the right direction, Reba was working well and we had them surrounded on 3 sides leaving the way open to the water.

That’s when they bolted, first they went left and Reba remained under Dougie’s control, then they turned and started back the way we’d come and again the cries and whistles from her master guided the dog to the right place and she shopped the stampede.

Although I’m not sure a flock of 3 sheep can stampede, the 4th one was quietly munching grass as Wullie eyed it malevolently.

Jasper Armstrong on the far side of the river watched this circus and took another sip of whisky from his flask and considered if he should attack the Lone Rustler before the other 2 clowns could get back and help, but his two cousins said they should stay put.

We finally got the sheep back to the ford and the danger to Snapcase was over without him ever realizing it existed.

The whisky was getting to Jasper and he became more and more desperate to advance into the ford and bring the fight to the enemy. “We can take you” he shouted but his cousins remained adamant that they wouldn’t go into the river.

We pushed and roared at the sheep and they went forward but the water was getting deeper with each step, 18” at least, Reba was swimming now as one of the blasted woolly things veered off the ford and into deep water on the downstream side. I rushed forward to try and catch it but slipped on the smooth pebbles under foot and nearly went in myself. Wullie was advancing slow and careful but the Douglas moved as fast as he could to rescue his dog. It nearly was the end, he slipped and went down on one knee but didn’t fall, “damn and blast you Reba, Cum Bye” but the dog was out of control, chasing the sheep and ignored him.

Jasper Armstrong held his pistol loosely and knew he could make the shot, as he was raising his arm his 1st cousin said “no, not yet, wait till they get closer”.

The wayward sheep was trying to get back to the flock and I reached down and pulled it back onto the ford and the water became more shallow as we neared the far bank, only 6” here and we were almost across. Reba is now out of the water but still chasing the sheep and Dougie is still chasing her. Yet again he moves too fast and nearly falls, but cat like, he’s up immediately.

Mad Wullie also slips but doesn’t fall, we’ve been luck so far, as Jasper assess the range he decides it’s still too far, well his 1st cousin knows it’s too far, Jasper is a rubbish shot.

“Ne Oublie” “Ne Oublie” Snapcase shouts I think he’s gone mad but it turns out he’s finally remembered the Grahams battle cry, and Reba takes it up, barking like a mad thing, the sheep bound forward in the shallow water…..straight at the Armstrong line.

“I’ll take the one in the centre” the Douglas and I shout in unison and we fire together. Jasper Armstrong staggers as he’s hit, “I got him” we both cry in unison, “no I got him” we both countermand the other.

“First blood to us” screams Wullie “Ne Oublie” “Ne Oublie” “Kill them”

This would have seen lesser men take to their heels but the Border Folk are made of stern stuff.

Two of the sheep managed to avoid the Armstrong’s but the two on the right ran full tilt into Jasper and his 1st cousin. Both Armstrong’s managed to stay on their feet but disaster for the one on the right because he dropped his half pike and is defenceless when Wullie heaves himself up onto the river bank swinging his sword like a Norse God. Wullie said later that he slipped on the muddy bank but it was just an excuse, his opponent ducked the flailing attack and didn’t go down.

Jasper clutches his wounded gut as the sheep hit him, also drops a weapon, his pistol and Wullie thinks of the broken one in his waistband, useless with the broken lock and can see where it’s replacement is coming from.

Dashing Dougie also made it to the river bank but Grim Armstrong didn’t give way and he drove Dougie back into the water.

As I dashed forward I’d stumbled yet again in the treacherous ford, going down but the water was shallow and I just got wet through. Damn this, I’ll catch my death of cold so I took a gulp from my hip flask before moving forward to join the fight.

I attacked Grim, relieving the pressure on Dougie, but he was good and forced me back. Dougie had recovered his breath and attacked and again was forced back. Reba his dog went mad, out of control and she attacked Grim Armstrong, biting at his ankles. He tried to kick her but to no avail.

Snapcase didn’t give his opponent a chance to recover and attacked again and again. His enemy didn’t stand a chance without a weapon and died on the banks of the river.

Grim Armstrong has backed away from Reba and away from the river bank as Mad Wullie Snapcase shouting and screaming “Kill them,” “Ne Oublie” “Ne Oublie” “Kill them”, charges forward at Jasper Armstrong. Any man would have been forgiven for running but not Jasper.

He stood his ground with my pistol ball in his guts and fought Snapcase man to man. It might have been the drink but he put up a strong resistance to this determined attack.

Grim Armstrong turned to run but Dougie and I got there before he could and with two of us we overpowered him, he was down with a sword slash to the leg as it started to rain.

We turned to help Snapcase but he shouted “Stand back, he’s mine” and he went for Jasper again.

I looked at Dougie and he looked back. “Well one of us has to do it” I muttered, but neither of us could.

Then Jasper went down and Snapcase said, what are you waiting for as he cut Jaspers throat. Nothing we said and did the same to Grim.

There will be no one to tell the tale.

“OK, we’d better go, and quickly”, I said pointing back the way we’d come.

As a large group of figures came over the hill…..Armstrong’s? Hells teeth is that Ill Will Armstrong leading them?

We didn’t wait to find out.

8 comments:

  1. Great game John, and no casualties for the adventurers just maybe a little wet ! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave, just a small game but I'd got lots of what if's going on so most enjoyable. Sorry for the delay in responding but blogger won't let me comment if I'm on the tablet. It must be for my benefit, that's what G mail said when I couldn't sign in without them sending a message to my phone. It's all to make my life easier. I had to borrow Mrs V's phone to ring mine to find where I'd left it, good gob Goggle is looking out for me and making my life easier. NOT.
      Sorry for the rant ;)

      Delete
  2. Well this had me going from giggling like a schoolboy at the start to edge of the seat stuff! What a triumph, loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Michael, glad it made you smile. I had fun with the dog, she was just as likely to wag her tail as bite, and just as likely to bite one of us rather than an Armstrong so very fortuitous.

      Delete
  3. Great report! I love the minis and the terrain.
    Ram those sheep through and, not for mutton, leg it out of there noo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) :) cheers Dave, I hope you don't mind but I'm going to pinch your line.

      Delete
  4. Happy memories of my time in the borderlands. A great story and a lovely opening to what may be next with the appearance of men on the skyline. I do enjoy your illustrated narratives. The only quandary - do I give in and finally buy some Reivers?
    Stephen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stephen We were up in Dumfries in December and I was dragging Mrs V around Pele and Tower Houses, which was partly the impetus for painting these figures and the game. I'd read "The Steel Bonnets" years ago and acquired a copy a couple of years back at the same time I bought the figures, but you know what it's like, so much to do and so little time to do it.
      Anyway I'm glad you like the graphic Novel style of game story, I'm just writing the aftermath to the raid at the moment.
      Yes buy the Reivers, mine are Hoka Hey I think, very easy to paint, poses are a little limited and the old sculpts are better than the new ones in my opinion, brilliant area and time period for small skirmish games.
      Cheers

      Delete