Welcome

A Warm Welcome to my Blog




Monday 5 February 2018

Vagabondy - Vagabond's Viking Village

Some time ago I decided that my Viking Hordes needed some where to either live and/or raid, and so I built a small Dark Ages/Northern European village.

I decided to make this post because of a comment I read recently about skirmish war gaming only needing a small number of figures but a large investment in scenery, which may well be true but it can be done on a very tight budget.

I don't think what I did was outstanding, but I do think it is serviceable war gaming scenery, I made some mistakes as well as having some successes but it was not as difficult as I thought it might be, I achieved it in about 6 weeks which is more than my normal attention span and it was very cheap.
Maybe this will help anyone who is contemplating a similar project to get started. I think my village is a little too neat and tidy and if anyone has suggestions to improve or add to it I would really like to hear them. I don't particularly want to add buildings but its the ancillary stuff that I like best, I was very pleased with the dung heaps for example.

Again this is something I posted originally on LAF and have extracted the body of the post to put up here. The full thread starts here http://www.lead-adventure.de/index.php?topic=95869.0 and I would say I got a lot of encouragement and advise from the guys there. Coincidentally the thread has been resurrected by someone a few days ago, just after I wrote this post but before posting - spooky.

My original intention with the Blog was to just post my games but I might change my mind on that, anyway sorry for the waffle - on with the post.

For some obscure reason, but is typical of me I decided to do the Chieftains long house first, obviously as it is the biggest most complex build it should have been last, once I had some practice in what I was doing. Ho Hum as they say.


So this was the start, I didn't think the roof shingles worked too well, they were on the big side, spread out too much and with no texture having been cut from a smooth cardboard. Basically I was being lazy and had tried to cover too large an area with as little effort as possible. As Viv in Australia says - Rubbish in Rubbish out.

I tried to compensate for the lack of texture by downward strokes of the brush in the painting process and the transition of colour didn't work for me either. I started with a black undercoat and then mixed black and white getting lighter as I went along. Probably 5 shades done and then a final green wash to simulate moss. Of course it's a big area to cover and I'm not good at painting buildings but I expected a better result. I suspect my problem is using shades of grey mixed from black and white and that I should be doing something else, any thoughts or advice?

The wall texture I liked but it is not very authentic, the daub was traditionally pushed on by hand and so I should have a 'puddled' look, sort of soft dimples. I used grout mixed with paint for the daub but felt it was a bit soft, however my grout was quite old so that might have been the problem.
I always mix paint in with the texture because I've damaged bits in the past and there's nothing worse than white chips showing on a building or base.

I used 5mm foam board for walls and roof and it gives a strong light build, nothing revolutionary here.


The bed is just cardboard and kitchen roll for pillows and bedding, the boxes are a square section of balsa and the oven you can just see in the bottom right hand corner is an acorn cup, upside down of course. I did put strips of thin card along the edges of the foam board to cover the foam.

These were the next two houses I did, they are the same construction, but I went with thatched roofs. Mrs Vagabond had donated an old towel to the cause, this has a fine nap and no loops. I glued it down with PVA and then when dry liberally coated it with diluted PVA in situ and combed it so the strands were fairly even. 1st pic before PVA and combing, 2nd one after the process.

 If you look carefully I pasted watercolour paper on the foam board trying to get the puddled look I was after, but when I painted it there wasn't enough texture for my childish dry brush technique so I went back to the grout but applied it with a small oil painters trowel.

This is how I cut the towel it so that it wrapped around the edges of the foam board to get a neat corner joint.

Hopefully you can see the end result here. It required pressing around and then holding and re pressing but I got a good glued result in the end.

I then painted it with black undercoat. There are a number of alternatives, you could soak the towel in PVA and black paint before putting it on, I've done this once and it is a right mess, black paint gets every where. Don't do it.
You could spray undercoat but my work has always been in winter and spraying out doors in the cold is not much fun. Probably the best way is to get black towel but we don't have black towels and I wasn't going to buy a new one to cut up. Eeh I cum from Yarkshire by eck and we don't cut up new towels here lad, tharl be truble at mill, as Mrs Vagabond so quaintly says when she's taking the piss, she comes from Bristol!!
It is difficult to get an all over cover of paint and I must have gone over it 3 or 4 times before getting it right because of the degree of undercut. Probably also because I was working in the evening and could see the gaps in daylight.

This is how it looks after the undercoat.

And this is after dry brushing the thatch, it looks a bit like it's snowed and this is after I knocked it back with a couple of brown and green washes, the green hasn't come out on the pic, and I'm still contemplating putting some moss (flock) on the roof.

The washes I put on the walls just soaked in to the grout and I ended up putting a coat of diluted PVA on the walls to size them and then the wash puddled as it's supposed to, you can see the green wash at the base of the walls.

The one thing I wanted to try and ensure for the village was that there was plenty of scatter terrain, I wanted fields and crops but 1st decided to have a go at middens or dung heaps if we're being polite.



It's all fairly obvious, bamboo skewers glued into offcuts of foam board wound round with string and garden wire.
I had this brilliant idea that if I smothered the string in pva glue and wound it round the sticks I would have free wattle fencing. Free is good - right.

If you have never held up a bit of string and dipped your fingers in glue to smooth it on to the string, then your life is not complete. DON'T do it, buy the damn things. Rendra do some good flexible ones.
As you can see the string ran out about halfway round the one on the left, it was a nightmare.
The green one is garden wire for holding up plants.

PVA and dried tea from tea bags for the texture, it's as cheap as it gets. You may find cheap is a re-occurring theme here.


Again I think I overdid the dry brushing and then PVA and flock as well as some more tea and a twig or two from the garden plus a bit of lichen from Scotland, but you can pick it up anywhere there is no pollution.

This is the one with the garden wire, the green stuff in an earlier picture. I think it probably looks the best.


I did 2 fields. The 1st one is using the green wire I used for the dung heap. You can see the green wash on this.

This one I used some raffia type stuff from Mrs Vagabonds straw hat, she doesn't know it's gone yet, and I think this one looks best but it is quite fragile.


The vegetation is a variety of things, paper roses from Hobbycraft for cabbages, you'll see these reoccur time and again in my games because I was really chuffed with them. Artificial grass, cut down short, coconut mat, and some aquarium plastic plants, dry brushed.
Originally I was going to plant the greenery into the field but decided to go for a more variable approach by doing them on separate bases, probably not as pretty but more versatile.



Here they are with the houses I made earlier.

The synthetic grass representing the short green shoots were hot glued to pieces of hardboard and the only advise is - don't trim them to size until after you've glued them down and flocked them. I cut them to the height I wanted first and then had nothing to hold on to and so got hot glue on my fingers - nasty.

You will see the obvious mistake - no gate to keep animals in or out!!

 I decided I didn't really like the tiles so replaced them with thatch on the long house.

Which I am much happier with.

This is a granary on stone pilings to keep it off the floor and rodent out.

I'm not so sure I like the brown wood colour I've used. I like it on the daub and wattle builds probably because the colour complements the rest of the build but it looks a bit wrong on this. I didn't want to do the wood grey because it would be too close to the roof colour, what do you think?

This is the 1st time I've used styrene to do stone effect, it's not the best I've seen but I was surprised how easy it was to do. I used the packaging base from a pitza, it's about 3mm thick and stuck on to a central column of wood so you can see the joins at the corners but it's not too bad. Again free and remember free is good.
The stone work wouldn't win any prizes in real life - indeed I doubt it would stand up because it's not laid right but it was to try out the technique, it will be better next time and you have to be a bit picky to see it.

No steps or ladder to get into the store because I didn't want to put the building on a base and I couldn't think how to secure them to get a big glued surface area. My terrain all goes loose in big boxes and bits get knocked off easily and for me it's wargaming terrain not model standard that I'm after. Of course that's my excuse for cutting corners as well.

OK - here are the bee hives I made, quite pleased how realistic they turned out.
Only joking These are in the Viking open air museum in Ribe Denmark and if you can get there - go to the Viking fair I think it was in May when I went 2015 - it is brilliant. If you have the slightest interest in history from that period there is all sorts of stuff going on, lots of smiths working with small portable furnaces, people dying wool with natural dyes, so you know how to paint your figures, woodworkers using treadle lathes. You may have guessed I was bowled over by the place.

These are mine, not quite as realistic.

The hives as you can probably see are acorn cups, upside down and not even painted. They look a bit like loaves of bread but size wise are OK and give the right impression, especially if you tell folk what they are before they have the chance to ask..

 This is my forge/workshop, it needs some stuff inside but I've still not got round to doing it yet.

I would have preferred to do the forge as an open fronted build with a low wattle wall so that there would be maximum light and ventilation when they were working as this is more authentic but decided that for constructional strength to go with this solid section.


The final build is a Grubbenhause, probably not spelt like that. These are dug into the earth and so have lower roofs than a normal build. I saw quite a lot like this in Denmark and Northern Germany but there is quite a lot of dispute about these buildings. Some think they were dug out but the hole was backfilled with insulation - straw or something like that and had floorboards over the top so they would be the same height as a normal house. Some think they were workshops and not lived in.
The ones I saw had earth steps going down into them about 3' deep and so when it rains I could quite easily see that the water would run down the steps and into that natural well you had dug.
There is also an argument whether the thatch reached the ground or not, my layman view is that it would rot if it was in contact with the ground and rodents would have no trouble getting in to your roof.
Whatever the truth is my house is a bit tall for a traditional view of a grubbenhause and a bit short for a formal house so wrong either way.

One thing I did find with all the builds was that because I used PVA to glue sand to the interior floors and then painted it, after a couple of days there is some distortion, they all have a slight bow to the base, obviously more pronounced on the bigger builds - the bases are all 5mm foam board.

This is slightly worse on the fields they are 1/8" (3mm) hardboard and, even though with them I painted glue on the bottom of the base to counteract this and used a weight to straighten it. When built the base was flat but later it bowed.

Anyone any thoughts on how to overcome this?

It's not significant but just a bit annoying, maybe I need to get some MDF but I would be surprised if coated with PVA that didn't distort a little, maybe a different glue? Or don't glue and sand the interiors.

I just thought I would post up a couple of pics to show how the village finally looked.



All of this is scratch built except the carts and the obvious plastic wattle sections around one of  the fields, the wood piles are twigs from the garden. the rocks are rocks and the long grass in clumps is sisal string.

I would be very interested in your thoughts on what I could add either as scatter terrain or small buildings to improve this.

I do plan at some stage to add a stone church with both a thatched and slate roof so it is more versatile but that will be for a Saxon village because I prefer my North Folk to be pagans.

All the buildings have lift off roofs and all have the same sand/mud floor as the longhouse I just don't have any photos.
The sad thing is that I laid out the village for a round up photo and then played a game. Everything went into a box and has been there undisturbed for over a year now, I'm assuming it hasn't come apart in the meantime or everything I've said here would be invalid.

If there's anybody out there please let me know and if you're still here - thanks for reading.

28 comments:

  1. Hi John, great post very honest & informative, I think I've said before that we're our own worst critic's & this post goes a long way to prove that.

    Your looking for anything that you believe will improve your village so I'll try do the impossible : )

    1) For your raised building, maybe a set of steps that are stand alone & are just placed in front of the building.

    2) A couple of little gates to like you say keep things in of out.

    3) The forge, I hate to be the smithy working in there as your live expectancy would be fairly short, so perhaps some kind of flu or even just a hole in the roof, the hole doesn't even need to be a hole just a little bit of smoke to indicate that there is a hole.

    4) Maybe some steam rising from one of the dung heaps to to show its a bit fresher & not yet cooled : )

    5) Where the green wash has pooled around the bottom of the buildings tone it down a bit with some brown wash & maybe do the same with the other buildings.

    These are all just minor things & are not really needed but I know well that if your not completely happy with something how it can nag at you.

    From a gaming point of view I'm not sure what else you would need to add as you need to leave room for the models to move around : )

    I hope all this stuff is still safe in the boxes as when you left it there as it looks fantastic & needs a movie or two shot on it : )

    Once again thanks for this great post I'm sure lots of people will find it very useful for doing stuff of their own : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1) Seperate raised steps - why didn't I think of that!!

      2) Gates - I do have gates but they are all too big so I will make some, and have just thought how I will do it.

      3)The Forge - I do believe I need to rethink that building - maybe a store house or workshed for some other occupation.

      4)Steam - thats very rural but I have some of the polyester fibre that you use for waves - that would do I think.

      5)Brown wash - I don't have a lot of experience with washes but you're probably right.

      Thanks for your thoughts - I will certainly try the steps because the building looks odd without them. Frank thanks for your ideas.
      Cheers

      Delete
  2. I'm very impressed with your village, though I was a bit dubious of the 'shingles/slates' and was pleasantly surprised to see you hjad ammended the roof to thatch. My #son built his viking/Saxon settlement in a similar vein using thatch.
    As for improvements to scatter...
    A stack of thatch ?
    A table/work area for a butcher - skins hanging up etc.?
    Looms ?
    Fish drying on racks?
    I'm not that "au fait" with the period but these are pretty universal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joe - my thoughts with the shingles is that for the chieftain he would have the best and thatch is for common folk like me, but I hadn't made a good job of them so I'm pleased with the change.
      The stack of thatch Idea is good - I would think I can achieve that fairly easily.
      I made a pelt 2 days ago from DAS, it's not very good but the technique shows promise so I could do the pelts drying on a frame I think.
      I did think of looms but I can't envisage how to do them easily, any thoughts.
      The fish on racks is also a very good idea but again I can't think how I would do it but it's worth pursuing.
      In a similar vein I thought of washing on a line, very generic.
      Greatly appreciate your thoughts.
      Cheers

      Delete
  3. Terrific post John, and I really hope you "change your mind" and include some more stuff like this on the blog - loads of great ideas and inspiration :-)
    The use of acorn cups is just genius!

    As for suggestions, the only things that instantly spring to mind are toilet pits (just wicker screens, usually at the side of the dwelling) - seeing them at The Yorvik Viking Museum left a lasting impression because of the smell!!
    Also, a couple of small pens for goats & geese would be ideal objectives for any raid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Greg, I guess like most of us I've done bit's and piece's of terrain but this was the 1st time I had actually set out to do enough buildings to fill a table at one sitting so to speak and all in a similar style. So I don't really have a lot to bring to the table as it were compared to so many other guy's with blogs. I thought this was worth putting up because it is fairly simple, it would translate to lots of other periods and might help novice builders such as myself realise that if he can do it then so can I.
      The toilet pits sound like a good idea, in 2015 I did a tour of northern Germany and Denmark looking at some of the iconic open air museums and I don't recollect seeing 1 toilet!
      What sort of height were the screens, man sized or smaller?
      I've just painted up some Muflon Sheep and they would go well in a pen if I can make this multi period I will probably have a go at them.
      Thanks for the ideas.

      Delete
    2. "I don't really have a lot to bring to the table as it were" From a selfish point of view, I'm getting ideas and inspiration from every one of your posts so far, so adding this kind of "show and tell" to you game reports provides even more opportunity to learn something, whether it's completely new, or a variation on a theme :-)

      The toilet wattle fencing provided what we'd call (would you believe) a "modesty screen" ;-) I've googled an image, but trying to grab the link tried to steer me down the path of 'Sign in with Google' Simply search.... OUR FAMOUS VIKING TOILET IMAGES ..that'll reward you with photo's from the museum :-)

      Delete
    3. Cheers - I'll give it a go.

      Delete
    4. If you have prob's seeing the guy "spending some Danegeld", let me know and I'll have another go at grabbing a link :-)

      Delete
    5. Hi Greg thanks I found it without any trouble, it doesn't look very private or warm or rainproof, apart from being cheap and easy to build I don't think it has much going for it.
      Thanks for the suggestion.
      Cheers

      Delete
  4. This is another of your old LAF posts that was new to me, and what a veritable feast for the eyes you have here. The level of detail you have achieved is remarkable. Sadly I am not nearly as knowledgeable about this subject to offer any words of advice on how to improve your gaming board. To my untrained eyes, it all looks perfect. That said, I note that the comments above have plenty of good tips that will help you out no end.

    I hope it isn't too long before you unbox all of this in order to do a batrep for us all to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bryan - I'm pleased you didn't see this because as I posted the last pictures I also had a game that was quite fun and that is on the list of things to put up here at some stage.

      Delete
  5. Its all looking very good. Definitely you've done some fine scratch-building there, that really does create a very pleasant looking table top. I don't think I can offer any suggestions, as I'm not too knowledgeable on the period and the DIY terrain I've previously made has been for Naval games, Samurais in Winter or Pulp-style 'TV sets'. From experience, I can say MDF warps after pva and glue is applied.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Roy - I'm pleased to know that MDF warps as well, saves me worrying that I should have done this differently.
      I'm curious about your samurai, what did you do?
      I made 3 Japanese peasant houses a while ago and always intended expanding of that but of course never did. At York I splashed out on some MDF stuff to add to it, nothing big - Rice stores, Market stalls and a geisha carriage. So I would be interested to see how you tackled it.

      Delete
    2. It isn't anything grand. Just a small 2'x2' rural winter scene. I'll fish them out and photograph them, as the original blog post got deleted when my old blog transitioned into the col. bills blog.

      Delete
    3. I should like to see that. I know that the few shows I have been to recently it's the small 2' or 3' sq boards that I think look the best if well done.

      Delete
  6. What a great set of terrain, even better that you scratch built it! A man after my own heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not in your class I'm afraid but even so I was pleased with the result.

      Delete
  7. That's fantastic. So many great ideas for future terrain making. Thanks very much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cheers and thanks for dropping by to have a look, and letting me know you did. Hopefully there may be something that sparks a thought sometime, I don't think there's anything original here, but it was simple.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a very nice settlement! I would live there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Leif, that's very kind of you to say so. I do very good rates for weekly stays. ;-)

      Delete
  10. Brilliant! I am so pleased that I finally found this and will be stealing, sorry borrowing, a few ideas for my Witchfinder word. I love the idea of a steaming dung heap and the cabbages are clearly a must have. I am also taken by the log piles, such a simple but effective device. Now it would seem rude to me to come here, steal your ideas and skulk off so a couple of suggestions. How about some form of warning beacon to alert other villages of impending raids? I was thinking a pile of sticks, but this could get quite elaborate - just Google Gondor warning beacons. Perhaps an armoury, or a row of shields at any rate. Finally how about the entrance to a burial mound or some form of standing stones? Check out the fourth picture down on this post: http://twincitiesfieldofglory.blogspot.co.uk/2018/04/us-grand-melee.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. Michael, thanks for the suggestions, I very much like the idea of a standing stone with runes, they were often used as boundary markers or bragging stones. The burial mounds also is a good idea as it will translate in many other settings.
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  12. Brilliant!

    I didn't think the tiled roof looked too bad, but then that's the technique I used on mine, too, so I may be biased. That said, I really think the thatched roofs look even better. I think you have a great assortment of pieces with the various buildings, middens, fields and crops and all. If you're still looking for more things to add I would've suggested stone walls to enclose areas, provide cover, channel enemies, etc., but I know you already have stone walls in your various reports for other periods/genres, so you can just use those if needed.

    I am inspired by your various posts to try to come up with more items to add some life to street/town scenes - lots of stuff like wood piles, stacks of boxes, and other odds and ends, help make such scenes look more lived in. Along with extras to represent the local civilian population and their animals, too, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Fitz glad you found something useful here, that's the great thing about other folks blogs and forums, there is always something to strike a chord and get you doing something new.
    The problem I have with the way I do my shingle roofs is that the shingles being card are just too smooth and I find my painting of them unconvincing.
    I have bought some thin wooden strips that might do a much better job but I've not tried them yet.
    Thanks for taking the time to comment.
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just came across your blog. I love the use of string for wattle fencing. I'm going to have to try that out, glue fingers and all. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elroy - it was a messy business and not one I would really recommend but having had a quick look at your blogs, the kids might enjoy it tremendously. ;)

      Delete