Welcome

A Warm Welcome to my Blog




Tuesday 3 April 2018

A Western Adventure - Hold Up At Skull Rock

Bill intends to rob the Stage going to Little Whiskey, his plan is to jump out in front of it and yell for it to stop. Well good luck with that plan Bill.

He was never the shiniest spoon in the drawer, direct action was more his forte and this plan reflected years of perfecting his preferred method of stagecoach robbery. That’s what he told his men and they were very dull spoons compared to Bill and believed him.

In fact this was his first stage hold up and he was not really sure how to go about it, but practice makes perfect so they say.
Unless you get shot to death at which point there is no more practice.

Here is the stage jolting along the main road to Little Whiskey, road is a bit of a misnomer as you can see, it’s just a dirt track, mostly clear of boulders and brush, but this is what passes for fast communication out west at this time.

As usual a general overview of the board, the Stage has to exit this end of the table, or maybe even turn round and go back, it doesn’t really matter because the losers are the ones who are dead and the winners are the ones who aren’t.

I like to keep my winning conditions simple. None of this 5points for this plot point, 3 points for that one. You are either dead or alive, this is the wild west after all.

The Stage is being driven today by Chester because Rose is having a day off.

I know he could do with reins to the horses but that involves a lot of work so just imagine the stage bouncing along, the dust, the heat and the lack of space inside and then you will have forgotten the lack of reins.

Riding shotgun is English Bob you may remember him from the last episode in Little Whiskey he still has the star but it’s under his big coat and he’s grown a moustache.

Undertaker Haulage Company have employed a young boy, a kid really, Henry McCarty to run a mule train bringing supplies into town, so far he only has one horse in his mule train but the west is expanding as is the mule train. For some reason he’s always been known as Billy, maybe he didn’t like his given name of Henry.

And yes, that is a coffin on the roof. (Bryan don't start getting excited)

Eduardo if you happen along, this is the best I felt able to do cutting the horses bases off.

The ambush – On the left is Bill Samuelson in his trademark black coat, white hat, they all have bandana's as masks except Charlie who figures there are so few left handed outlaws he's fairly easy to recognise anyway.

Nick here has been delegated to hold the horses. I think this is because he is developing quite a name as a gun man and Bill doesn’t like the competition.

He is also wearing a new duster, I really didn’t like the army painter quick shade and have tried to lighten it without doing a complete re-paint only partially successful but quick to do.

I hope you have noticed the cactus, and if not why not. I don’t know if I've mentioned this but I've been doing stuff with DAZ and this is some of it.

This is just to place all the outlaws, so you can see Bills cunning plan in all it’s glory, and to let you know that the hold up is taking place at Skull Rock a well known landmark on the road to Little Whiskey. In fact this will go down in history as the Skull Rock Holdup.

I picked up Skull Rock off a beach in case you were thinking I had been spending money on terrain.

Turn 1 – The stage is coming. Bill doesn’t step out into the road and yell stop. He fails to activate.

Turn 2 The stage is coming and just for a bit of drama a head on view, but Bill still doesn’t step out into the road and yell stop. He fails to activate - again.

At this point I’m thinking one more failed activation and this games over before it’s even begun :-(

However Charlie (on the right) decides to act, he can see Bill has frozen, well would you jump out in front of a stage and four horses, - neither would I.

He gets an ambivalent brains test, so not sure what to do, he wants to shoot the stagecoach horses.

I don’t really hold with back shooting, and so I make my lead men pass a test before they can do something really bad. Charlie passed!

He can’t see the horses because of Billy and so his choice was 1,2,3 shoot English Bob riding shotgun on the stage or 4,5,6 shoot Billy’s horse.

He shoots Bob and hits him twice, right leg and left arm, not bad for a lefty. Roll 1D6 - 1,2 Bob has the shotgun in his left hand, 3,4 in his right, 5,6 it’s in a boot holster on the coach. Bob rolls a 1 so shotgun in left hand, as he’s shot in the left hand he drops the shotgun, it’s not going well for him, fortunately he dropped it in the foot well of the coach.

It doesn’t really matter because Bob is Out of the Fight OOF and slumps down. Same again 1,2 out of the coach 3,4,5,6 into the seat. Rolls a 1 again and falls out of the moving coach and lands on his head which would also have put him OOF but he already is, if you get my drift.

Billy reacts to the shot, turns in the saddle and draws and shoots in one fluid motion, Charlie takes lead in the head and is down. Not dead but he’s not going to get up soon.

Chester reacts to the shooting and wants to get the hell out of here, flap the reins and go, but he realizes the dope who set up the stage didn’t give him reins. No - actually he got a bad roll for him on the affinity check and couldn’t leave English Bob behind. Especially after he had fallen from the stagecoach, there will be questions. So he pulls back on the imaginary reins and the horses slow and finally grind to a halt.

Steve on the far side of the coach also wants to shoot the horses to stop them but a similar bad roll means he is too soft hearted and so shouts to Chester to stop, which he is doing anyway.

Chester has halted the team and the stage has stopped. Bill finally activates – steps out and yells his famous line “Stop and keep your hands where I can see them”. Chester is braver than he is smart and so goes for his gun. He’s fast, for an old man but not fast enough, they fire together, damn Chester’s gun jams but Bills doesn’t and he hit Chester in the right arm Chester is OOF and drops his side arm as well.

Billy passes his Brains test and so was going to ride off and fast but he must have some affinity for English Bob (another bad roll) because he can’t leave him hurt and lying in the road so climbs off his horse to see how Bob is.

Steve sees Billy climb down and snap fires at him but misses, Billy returns the bullets in spades. Sparks fly off the rock close to Steve’s head and he ducks back into cover.

Billy standing over English Bob ready to defend him to the end.

Bill moves up to the stage and pokes his pistols in through the window and in a savage drawl says, “get your asses out here”.

The stage is carrying 5 passengers inside and here are three of them, all on their way to Blonde Edna’s Saloon and Brothel in Little Whiskey.

Climbing out of the off side is the rest of the working crew. In the distance Billy is trying to pull Bob to the safety of the big rock, he just doesn’t have enough strength. Bill fails to activate.

The girls all walk round to Bills side of the stage, Bill fails to activate again, probably stunned by the ladies approaching him.

Then there is a creaking and a clattering followed by a dull thud as the coffin lid falls from the coffin on top of the stagecoach and a figure stands up. Slowly and carefully, it weaves about a little, almost like it’s drunk, eyes blinking in the strong sun light.

Bill looks up in shock, the figure looks down. “What you doing making so much noise, you woke me up” it drawls in a deep southern accent.

Bill lifts both his pistols and points them at the figure and for something that appears so uncoordinated the figure reacts swiftly to the threat and pulls a gun and they both fire together. I'd like to say simultaneously but I couldn't spell it.

There is a crack of gun fire followed by the squishy sound of bullets striking home, followed by another crack and the figure on the stage drops his revolver, blood coursing down his right arm, but Bill is already on the ground – gut shot and OOF.

At this point Steve recovers his nerve and slides around the side of the rock. Billy and he dance the dance of death, firing bullets and jumping around shouting and screaming like you do, but both miss and Steve ducks back behind the rock, he is out of ammo and needs to reload.

At this point two of the ladies turn, pulling short, stubby but very deadly derringers out from the recesses of their clothing. Pointing them at Steve, they indicate he should drop his gun and reach for the sky. Which unsurprisingly he does.

It’s all over, Nick holding the horses decides he is going to win the game. Yep he is not going to mix it with these serious looking working girls and he's going to stay alive, so he rides off into the sunset, leading the other 3 horses.

A quick introduction to the coach party from left to right.

The Kid is Henry McCarty, calling himself Billy. Dora DuFran in the grubby pantaloons, Pearl De Ville in the elegant crimson dress, the owner of Blonde Edna’s Saloon and Brothel. The blonde lady in yellow and red is Mollie Johnson, then Mary Ann Conklin with the red sash in which she keeps a supply of stones, and finally Eleanor Dumont wearing a nice black corset.

I will do a full and formal introduction when the ladies reach Little Whiskey.

The driver and shotgun guard are not well enough to have their picture taken.

The figure on the roof of the coach is Doctor John Watson, he was drunk and asleep, hitching a ride in the coffin, travelling 3rd class as you might say.

Whiskey has been his ruin, he was a surgeon of some renown back East but now has been struck off in more states than he can count on the fingers of both hands and some toes as well. He maintains that drink helps steady his hands when operating, but when you are weaving around on wobbly legs you do need something to steady your hands, I imagine.


If you are still here – thanks for reading and let me know that you passed this way.
Cheers

33 comments:

  1. John, your batreps just get better and better. That was an absolute belter. For the outlaws it started off badly with Bill failing to activate and it just went downhill from there. Well done to the Kid, who will most likely go down in history with books written about him and films made about him... probably! Good to see Pearl and her girls arriving and John Watson was quite a surprise. I was half expecting a vampire to rise from the coffin!
    I'm guessing your stagecoach is from 4Ground. It's a beautiful model and I must get one myself. John, you can never go wrong with your Little Whiskey games. Many thanks for sharing and keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bryan thanks for the enthusiastic response, it really cheered me up.
      The Kid did well in his 1st game, showed guts and determination, he will probably make his mark on the history of the old West.

      I put the coffin on the stage because I knew your first thought would be 'vampire' I wrote it that way just for you. I did think the photo came out well with him standing up there, a lucky picture for me.
      I think the Stagecoach is warbases, it's certainly not 4 Ground, they are out of my budget, but theirs does look the business.

      Delete
  2. A very nice return to little Whiskey John, loving the girls but why do they make me think of paint you wagon ? talking of wagons the stagecoach looks fab, but I've a question if there was no points for this or that & from what I can make out no one was dead then who won the game ? :) I'm pumping for the ladies & see them adding a whore lot of trouble over the next while :)

    Great stuff as always mate really enjoy it well worth my hard earned money ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Frank I'm not sure of the paint your waggon reference, it's a long time since I saw the film. The girls will, I'm sure feature heavily in the future of Little Whiskey.
      Who won the game - well I think that's obvious. Me. I got a load of fun out of a bare minimum of figures and terrain, - result.

      The stage has been in quite a few of the games but I've tried to keep it in the background because I only just finished it a week or so ago. Also the horses have only just been removed from their lead bases and given clear ones so I'm chuffed you liked it.
      Glad you thought the entrance fee was worth it;-)
      Cheers

      Delete
    2. Frank - Mrs Vagabond has a better memory than me and now I fully understand your reference, you are perfectly correct. :) :)

      Delete
  3. This was an absolute scream, I was in fits of laughter at the thought of the stage just quietly running off the end of the table before anyone had the gumption to intervene.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michael - yes it would have been a shorter game I guess but these things happen quite regularly in my games, very little seems to go as I envisage it prior to the game.
      Mind you a female outlaw who's name escapes me, robbed a stage with her partner and rode off - got lost and went in a circle and arrived back at the begining where they were arrested by the posse out looking for them.
      I am thinking of naming one of my figures after her, once the name comes back to me.

      Delete
    2. Pearl Hart was her name.

      Delete
  4. I've just read through this while a thunderstorm has passed us by - the lights were flickering, and I SHOULD really have turned off the computer to be on the safe side, but I couldn't leave the tale!! :-)
    Please pass on my regards to young Henry McCarty, and tell him from me to steer clear of Fort Sumner - I didn't have to be Sherlock Holmes to figure out HIS true identity ;-)

    Nice work once again with the Das, I picked up a slab today from The Works (retail therapy after I couldn't find the samurai book I'd gone in there for!)

    Brilliant stuff, but I can't understand the appeal of a Brothel in Little Whiskey - a saloon yes, but whose going to want broth???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Greg I had the choice of two games ready to post, the other one is Gothic Horror, now that could use the sort of sound track you had, it would have been much more spooky with the thunderstorm raging.
      I made it much too obvious with Henry, I shouldn't have made that second reference, but well guessed.
      Pearl and the girls have heard how difficult the situation is out west and as good hearted folk are setting up a soup kitchen (broth as it's known in America) in Little Whiskey because they heard there was only a little whiskey there and felt the men would need some other comfort.
      I did my usual thing with the cactus and assumed I knew what it looked like, it was only when I checked for a colour reference that I found they have much more complicated shapes than I gave them :)

      Delete
    2. Reading a Gothic Horror write up in a thunder storm might have been a bit too much ;-)
      Good on the girls - very considerate of them to cater for the menfolk like that, and going to such lengths to do it! It must have been stifling in that coach for them to jeopordise their modesty and peel off their outer garments.

      If the cacti look like stereotypical cacti, then they still look like cacti :-)
      Job done I'd say, and I'm stil trying to figure out from the photo's how you textured 'em. Is it sand or flock?

      Delete
    3. This is set in the South West so it must be hot, and dusty so they probably wanted to keep their outer clothes clean.

      Cacti were covered in flock because one of the colours I had was a close match for the real thing.

      Delete
  5. Well that was a complete snafu from the start ! "How not to rob a stage" should have been the title and it should be remembered as "the nearly hold-up at skullrock" -
    I enjoyed this caper from start to finish, terrain new characters, inept outlaws and gunfire galore!
    Love the terrain and set-up and only the one complaint - lead on rocks causing sparks ? (I blame Hollywood)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joe I think you are being too hard on the boys, everyone has to start somewhere ;) Look at the Doolin's and Daltons, they had to learn the business before they became successful. Of course it didn't turn out too well in the end.
      Glad you enjoyed it, I have almost doubled the character pool for Little Whiskey from, not a lot, to, a few, I'm looking forward to introducing them.

      Delete
  6. Grade B Western! I can just see the likes of Jack Elam involved here (in one of his lighter roles). The figures and terrain sure fit the bill, too. Nice prop work on the cacti.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi F.B. yep Jack would be right at home I think. I'm pleased with the cacti because nothing says desert better than cacti. These are no especially good but they are very representational in my mind of the place, even if it's not actually true.
      Cheers

      Delete
  7. I’ve run out of ways of saying just how much I love your batreps Jon, another barnstormer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, it's good to know you're reading and enjoying them, it makes it worth while posting them :)

      Delete
  8. ANother great AAR. With all the influx of people Little Whisky will soon be Big Whisky. But I guess attrition will take its toll.
    I like your cactus, or should it be DAS Kaktus (I'm trying to be funny in German, probably failing...)
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. :) :) hi Joakim - good to hear from you, I don't know if you read the previous story but I hijacked your nun to take part in it.
    Thanks for dropping by.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's opened by I haven't read it yet. Happened to be this one before the older one
      Thanks for writing great AARs! Inspiring!

      Delete
    2. Thanks mate - that's very kind of you to say so, sometimes we all need a bit of motivation.

      Delete
  10. Brilliant looking game. Really enjoyed the skirmish report.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm pleased you enjoyed it and thought it looked good because it means anyone can have a game with very little investment in time and money which is probably not the impression a new comer to wargaming would get.
      Cheers

      Delete
  11. I liked the girls very much! Looking forward to see more of them! (meaning, of course, to see them in action! And by "in action" I mean shooting and fighting the bad guys!) :O)

    Who makes that tiny stagecoach?

    Keep doing that AWESOME work of yours!

    BTW: I'm looking forward to see your take on Gothic Horror soon! ;O)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eduardo good to hear from you, as Bryan said LAF isn't the same without you :(
      Of course I knew you meant shooting and fighting, what else could you mean - no - don't answer that :)

      I'm pretty sure the stage is by warbases, I don't think it's as soon as the 4 Ground one but t is a hellava lot cheaper.

      I'm sorry but the first two Gothic horror tales will be the ones I posted on LAF which you've already read, the hairless werewolf, but I painted up quite a few new figures for the second game that never made it into the story and I'm keen to get them on the table.
      Thanks for dropping by :)

      Delete
  12. Hi there!! I've been reading your reports and they are magnificent, sir!! Writing and pics. Congratulations!

    I asume you're using Six Gun Sound from THW, modified with your own homerules to add Affinity, Charisma, Strength, etc., right? If so, I suppose you're playing the game as a spectator, I mean, you just take decisions to interpret the dice results, but you don't take control of any characters, right? Could you explain a bit more about your system?

    Thanks in advance and, again, congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chema O That's very nice of you to say so, thanks.

      The rules are the free set Chain Reaction, not the latest version although I do have it. I also have six gun sound and blaze of glory and ATZ all of which I've read and incorporated ideas and rules into my set.
      Sometimes I play as a spectator and sometimes as one side, it usually depends on the scenario. So far all the western ones have been me as a spectator.
      The previous post I was on the side of the resistance, the encounter tokens act like PEF's and so I know in an overall sense what is out there I don't know where or when.
      If you read the two games of The Uranium Handoff in both of these I played the side of law and order, in the first game it all went wrong and I lost and it reversed in the second game. In both games I was trying to win but using the information the figures had rather than what I knew looking down on the table. So my sides overall strategy is me but on the ground it is the system. Hopefully if you read the two games it might help.
      One of the reasons for going into so much detail with attributes for the figures is so that I can make a decision for them that is sort of an individual one. Read Red Sparrow down and Alexandria failed her brains test so is going to make a bad decision. She passed we guts test so it is going to be a bold or foolhardy bad decision, so I had guidance as to the most appropriate decision to make.
      She got all her team killed but it made a brilliant game.
      I don't know if this helps, but basically I want an exciting and unpredictable game playing solo the stories seem to write themselves based on that.
      Cheers

      Delete
    2. Very interesting, thank you for taking your time to answer and explain it. I have yet to read your previous post.

      I understand you're not using 3234 tables like THW systems, but a few skills and passed/failed rolls. It sounds easy and with a lot of potential.
      Have you thought about putting all your ideas into one/two pages?

      Just an idea! ;)

      Delete
    3. Easy is the way I like it.

      I think if I started putting my ideas down it would be a small book, and they change as well. Very often I will encounter a new situation and write down some quick guideline rules, use them in that game and then lose the bit of paper and write a slightly different rule the next time.
      The main thing is that I play mainly solo and can adjust/amend as I wish.
      Thanks for showing an interest.

      Delete
    4. I see your point. Much better to adjust freely.

      By the way, maybe you've inspired me to try a solo semi-free RPG session with miniatures! I played that way in the past, and can also be a great experience.

      Thanks to you!!

      Delete
    5. Crikey mate, I don't want to inspire anyone, although I guess I would like to entertain someone.
      If you do post anything let me know, I'd be interested to see it.
      Take care

      Delete