Welcome

A Warm Welcome to my Blog




Monday 9 April 2018

Western Adventure - The Law comes to Little Whiskey

Buildings are going up so fast in Little Whiskey that a man with five fingers on one hand will have already lost count.

The latest are two adjoining buildings – The Sheriffs Office and the Arizona Territorial Bank. There are obviously very good reasons for the Bank to want the Sheriffs Office built next door and it means English Bob the Sheriff doesn't have far to go to deposit the towns tax revenue.

When Whiskey Jack walks down the Main Street he feels a tremendous sense of pride and achievement, this is his town, he owns the land all the businesses are built on. The place is booming, silver has been discovered only a days ride out of town, there is still the possibility of a rail line passing through, but Agua Fria a town about 50 miles south has plenty of water and has been entertaining the railway engineer lavishly.
Direct action might be called for, and he is just the man for the job. Well he knows a man, how knows a man, who for a fist full of dollars will see the job done.

A general view of the enlarged town from the South West, the new buildings are just behind the pack horse train.

A quick run round the town to remind you of the various businesses that are here so far. On the North (far) side of the street, on the left are the new buildings the Bank and then the Jail/Sheriffs Office, in the centre and right are the two original buildings in Little Whiskey the Tail Feathers Saloon and Big Jims Blacksmith and Livery.

An overview from the North East I turned the board around ;)

On the south side of the street, furthest away from us, on the left is Rob Tilney Gunsmith shop, in the centre the Westmoorland Grocery Company, with Blonde Edna’s Saloon and Brothel above it and on the right is the Wells Fargo Office.

It confused the hell out of me taking the photo’s from the opposite sides of the board when I came to describe everything, hope you are not dizzy yet.

A close up of the Bank, and guess who's the new Bank Manager, yep it’s old Sweet Sticky Fingers himself, Ebenezer Douglas. Off to the right English Bob has recovered from his near death experience in the Skull Rock Holdup and is back on his feet again. He’s wondering who parked their horses on his hitchin rail.

In the foreground you should recognise Billy, he now has 3 horses in his mule train, business is booming.

A sexy little shot between the buildings to catch a rancher and his wife Molly coming into town, but the little vignette in the background is more interesting, but we'll get to that.

Marshall McAlister has also recovered after the shoot out in the Incident in Little Whiskey, he is now sharing an Office with English Bob but to maintain proprieties he has his own door and office sign.

 I think he is off to the outhouse but after the aforementioned incident his sawn off shotgun goes everywhere with him. Rumour has it that he even sleeps with it, but this is hotly denied by Dora DuFran from Blonde Edna’s Home for Wayward Girls. She maintains that when they share a bed the only explosions are of her making, I don't know what she is referring to.

A long shot up Main Street from the East.

And the view from the other end of the street.

Mr Douglas wants the bank to look it’s best today because great things are happening in Little Whiskey, so he has had some local cacti planted in pots outside the bank to add a touch of class. I wonder how long they will last.

It looks like there is some more building work about to take place although as usual no one has any idea who might be doing it or what it might be, or when it might happen.

The Stage arriving, seems to be heavily laden with boxes, quite big boxes, quite strong boxes!!

Big Jim is over in his usual position in the coral, leaning on the fence and watching the world go by and that looks like a different woman he’s talking to.

Yep it's Mary Ann Conklin from Blonde Edna’s Home for Wayward Girls she is chatting away quite happily to this great hunk of a man. How does he manage it, every good looking woman in town seems to gravitate to the man.

The Westmoreland Grocery Company is open for business and doing a brisk trade, but not as brisk as Blonde Edna’s upstairs.

Sarah (yellow dress) who runs the Grocery side of the business is in partnership with Pearl De Ville (crimson dress) but she doesn’t approve of the woman nor her business, however she does approve of the income generated.

When the building was erected so to speak, she insisted that the entrance to the brothel was around the back and up the stairs.

Word got out that a brothel was opening in Little Whiskey and a big queue formed because the men thought is was a soup kitchen providing soup or broth as it is known in the Midlands. Once they found out what was really on sale the queue got much bigger!!

Up stairs at Edna’s Pete seems to be in deep conversation with Eleanor Dumont and Dora DuFran, maybe enquiring into the truth of the rumour about Marshall McAlister and his shotgun.

A more cynical view might be something to do with the fact that Edna’s balcony has a commanding view of the whole of main street so there might be an ulterior motive!!

Temperance Jenkins (black hat) and Miss Virginia (blue hat) are discussing the appalling state of the morals in the town and what on earth can be done about it. The children have no school, the sinners have no church and the Temperance Society have no meeting room. Appalling.

Pearl De Ville maintains very high standards in her business and private life, she is always immaculately dressed and has a very high opinion of her pale beautiful looks. She just knows that she turns every man head when she walks down the street, which is something she likes to do regularly to upset the 'good' women of Little Whiskey. This is something else Sarah disapproves of, but she keeps her thoughts to herself.

I suspect Sarah is comparing Pearl to the horses ass, but we’ll never know.

I’ll come back to the Tilney establishment but just wanted to show you that there appears to be a couple of lumber piles round the back at Edna’s, the business has been so successful they are opening additional space to serve the broth.

Apache George is a new comer in town, he seems to be rushing to the outhouse, maybe the broth didn’t agree with him.

Another shot of Molly and her rancher, with little Bob running along behind. Molly obviously doesn’t have a driving licence and so has to walk while her husband controls that 1 horse power motor in front of the cart.

The evil looking lady in the yellow dress is Irene Adler, you may have heard of her, not long out of England. I realise you can’t see that she looks evil because I didn’t take a good photo of her, but trust me – she’s a wrong un.

Round the back of the Wells Fargo office you can see the sort of goods that are pouring in to the town.

Donna staggers out of the Saloon clutching a bottle of her own special Rye Whiskey, she’s paid for it and it’s hers and that makes it very special. Miss Virginia, sees this happening.

And tongues start wagging again.

As she staggers up the street there is a figure in the shadows. On the sidewalk, outside the saloon!

It’s still not a clear view  but it could be Dangerous Dave in his newly touched up duster. Maybe I should say partially repainted duster, well you probably know what I mean.

If you can – look at Donna’s face, I am incredibly impressed with the facial sculpting of the Col Bill’s female figures I have bought, and they are almost all fully clad as well.

If you remember the last Little Whiskey town post, the latest building was - Rob ‘Slim’ Tilney’s gun shop. Most people seemed to think this was surplus to requirements and that a Doctor or an Undertaker was called for in Little Whiskey but I knew the law was coming, in the form of English Bob and Marshall McAlister and that there would be no more shootings in town. ;-)

Well in fact the figure of Slim was of Little Slim Jr and he is the son part of the shop sign. This chap is Rob ‘Big Slim’ Tilney Senior.

In close up he is a dour looking individual, it’s hard to realize what a hellion he was in his younger days. Don’t get on the wrong side of him even now or he’ll rattle your shins with that stick he always carries.

Keeping to the shadows behind him sweeping the stoop is Bertha Tilney, his long suffering wife.

Where I come from the front step of a house is called the stoop, does anyone know what the American expression might be?

Humm I said it was a 1 horse power motor but I think we’re looking at pony power here.

Just a moody shot of the back streets.

I see Tilney still hasn't put a door on his outhouse, I wonder what Temperance Jenkins thinks of that, hummm I probably know.

Ebenezer Douglas behind the cactus is consulting his watch, looking a little nervous as Billy leads his pack horses into town.

Sheriff Bob is still looking at those horses outside the jail and thinking.

Across the street there are two more horses he doesn’t recognise, and they are packing heavy! He continues thinking.

In fact there are quite a lot of horses packing heavy! He continues to think and I believe he is thinking – why haven’t I got a deputy. It’s that skinflint Whiskey Jack’s fault. I'm going to need someone to watch my back in this town and maybe sooner than I would like.

Ok you will have guessed before now the stage is carrying a s**t load of silver from the local mine, this is to stay in the brand new safe in the bank overnight before moving on tomorrow. I guess that’s why everyone is a little nervous.

All except these guys who are getting liquored up, they are very nervous.

Between them they have taken a lot of lead and done a lot of running lately. Bill Samuelson has got them into more than one piece of trouble in the past few jobs but maybe this is the time their luck will change, we will just have to wait and see.


Well this was supposed to be a game report but I got a bit carried away with the intro and I didn’t even get to introduce the girls from the soup kitchen properly. Sorry about that.

Oh - just a final note, you might remember Joe Turner got shot in the leg and was laying in the street bleeding to death. Well by a strange quirk of fate in the time space continuum the stagecoach that was being held up in the last game arrived in Little Whiskey at that very minute he was shot.
Dr John Watson (disbarred) still drunk, fell off the stage and seeing a man in need of medical attention called for a hot branding iron from Big Jim Smith the Smith and slapped it on Joe's leg. Cauterizing the wound and miraculously stopping the bleeding.
Joe and Jane are now recovered and along with all the other characters in Little Whiskey are ready for the story to continue. I do like a happy ending, although this is not the end.

If you are still here – thanks for reading and let me know if you passed this way.

Cheers

70 comments:

  1. Absolutely superb! I was getting so lost in the narrative that I didn't want it to end. I am really enjoying these posts John, particularly your use of language with its gentle use of humour, top work Sir.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Michael, it's good that you're enjoying it because a 35 picture introduction to a game that's not started yet means about 10 minutes of your life you will never see again. :-)
    Thanks for letting me know though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Cheers Phil, it did take a bit more than 10 min to put together so I guess we are even. :)
      Cheers

      Delete
  4. All that effort John & I'm still confused, there's a mule train that well has no mules as far as I can work out, a one horse power cart that hasn't got a horse & a soup/broth kitchen that if I was a betting man would put money on it not having soup/broth & to top it all over your asking me what Americans call a door step, apart from all that a first class opening to what I'm sure will be a rip roaring tell :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I can see why you might be a little confused. I will try better in future.
      Sorry ;)

      Delete
  5. It's so interesting to see a small town developing, and to know a little about the locals' everyday life.

    Congratulations on your great BAR!! (before action report)
    ;P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chema - it all goes back to the 1st game in this group and I posted it in LAF, I only had the saloon and it wasn't finished. We were also discussing town layouts and the validity of having 1 town with a fixed layout or just buildings arranged for each game. That's when I made the decision to grow the town organically and keep the same layout and populate it with residents.
      I think it's complete now, I would like a tented structure as an annex for the brothel but that's all.
      I'm not sure how this approach will work long term, how many games can I have on a small board with fixed terrain and not run out of ideas.
      We'll see.

      Delete
    2. By the way... Taking into account the increasing number of posts related to Little Whiskey, maybe it's a good idea to remind you to add the label "Western" also to this one...

      Delete
    3. Thanks - I always forget to do this until after I post.

      Delete
  6. Absolutely BRILLIANT :-)
    If I can chip in with my thoughts on your answer to Chema - I think you've made the right decision, we've seen the town and its characters develop so we're so much more invested in their stories, and I reckon you'll get a lot of mileage games-wise out of Little Whiskey.
    Of course, there's also nothing stopping you running a few "out of town" games as part of the overall narrative - we'd get to know a little about the surrounding countryside then as well :-)

    If Joe Turner's been branded, what brand is he now carrying? I'm sure it might have an impact on his nickname ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Greg and thanks for your thoughts on the town story development. I'm sure this approach is not unique but I can't remember seeing it anywhere, if any one can point me to a blog where they have gone this route I'd much appreciate it. I'm curious to see how they handled resident deaths, apart from miraculous brandings ;)
      Joe Turner might turn out to be an alias, I have another fancy that I might adopt but maybe I will make that decision after I introduce the doves and see what you think.
      Re the brand - I'll need to check with Big Jim because the Doctor passed out drunk straight after the act and doesn't remember a thing.

      Delete
  7. Fantastic. Love that Donna miniature may have to pick that one up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it's got quite a lot of character, especially with the bottle, i like that a lot. Pretty sure you would make a good job of her as well

      Delete
  8. I think I'm caught up! I had already read most of your March posts.

    I'm loving this! The town is really bustling after those earlier (but not exactly sleepy) days. I think it does work to have a fixed town and cast, with options to go out of town and introduce new characters as needed. It worked for shows like Gunsmoke and Bonanza, etc., back in the day. I think a lot of those Western tv series had a mostly fixed set for the main town they took place in, whether it was on a studio backlot or off on location somewhere not too far away. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of Western movies had studio-owned sets that got used multiple times, maybe with just some minor changes in signage and set dressing. (and speaking of set dressing you've inspired me to think more about set dressing for my stuff - really adds life to a place)

    I think there are regional variations on what Americans call that stoop/doorstep/thing. Growing up in southern California we called it a porch even though is was just a small bit of cement with no room for so much as a chair. I think "stoop" is used "back east", but I'm not sure.

    I'm a little surprised there isn't a dog or 2 around town... :)

    Keep up the great work! Well worth the admission price!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cheers Fitz, appreciate your thoughts and suggestions throughout. It does sound like i can use stoop or porch, will try and remember that.

    Dogs humm i have quite a few dogs and they are almost all on black slotta bases. I like my figures to be on the same style base and I've gone completely off piste with these clear bases in the west. So it means re-basing any dogs i use and a bit like the horses i don't think i can cut the bases off successfully but i will give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Excellent!
    I was happily reading and suddenly found out that I was nearly through the post. Was this going to be a super-quick shoot-out? Then I thought.... super-quick? On this blog? ;-)
    Glad to have something to look forward to and to be on track!
    I really like the narrative and all these characters. But I have one question: Where do they all live?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Super Quick, are you saying I ramble on a bit. I'm just trying to give you your moneys worth;)
      I had 27 western figures originally mostly protagonists and a few civilians, and I've just painted 20 figures mostly civilians. When I set the table up I thought exactly that, where do they all sleep.

      As we have both asked the same question I will tell you the answer, but not yet. ;)

      Delete
    2. A commune at the broth-house?

      Delete
    3. Hot bedding in the Brothel?

      Delete
    4. Even the temperance ladies?

      Delete
    5. They can sleep in the waggon, eventually I hope to get a cover for it, probably when I get round to painting it:(

      Delete
  11. What a great post. I loved reading through it and got really immersed into Little WHiskey it's inhabitants and now it may have a rival town too!
    It's going to play on my mind what the next building (other than than the soup kitchen extension) will be - a school ? a church/school ? a Doc's office ?, a Tonsorial Parlour ?, an all you can eat buffet ? Who knows ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joe I'm pleased you didn't mind that no one got shot in this post, I just sort of got carried away with my usual introductions. Sorry - I'll try and stay more focussed.
      I've always wanted to do some adobe buildings, I did make a stab at it a few years ago but to make space threw them out, so I think that's the next projected build, it means I can buy some Mexicans to add to Donna who is feeling a little out of place in this Anglo centric town of Little Whiskey.

      However I am watching the 7 Samurai on YouTube at the moment and grabbing screen shots of the village so maybe I'll expand my Japanese village!
      Of course there is always my version of Bob Murch's China Station set in the South China Sea/Indian Ocean. I have a name for it but that's all.
      I've also just ordered some Gangsters because The Addict has got me fired up about a detecting game story, so they will need some where to detect in, I have a couple of World Works PDF's for Mayhem City but they seem to have deleted a lot of the catalogue.
      I'm just glad I don't have 100 Arabs to paint like someone I know.

      Delete
  12. In one word: AWESOME!!! :O) It's really hard not to take the plunge into Old West Adventuring with this highly inspiring town! WELL DONE, pardner!

    Glad to see you're using some Belt Fed Gaming ladies, some real gems there! ;O)

    See ya! :O)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is this Gaucho speak, pardner :) good to here from you.

      Delete
    2. or even "hear" from you.

      By the way with your vast knowledge of wargaming, if I wanted a detective style solo game, solving clues and building cases where would I go for rules.
      I know of 5150 New Hope PI and The Department is there anything else you know of?
      Cheers

      Delete
    3. Sorry, I haven't seen your request about a solo detective game!

      Well, the classic boardgame "221B BAKER STREET: THE MASTER DETECTIVE GAME" is JUST PERFECT for what you're looking for! It can be played solo, and can be adapted by miniatures action on the tabletop - I know, because I've done that in the past! :O)

      In this game the detective - or detectives - basically travels around several different locations in Victorian London gathering clues to solve a mysterious "CASE" - and there's about a whooping 180 CASES in several supplements of the game!

      In our tabletop version we used a big table with several locations of a miniature Victorian London - park, graveyard, antiques shop, museum, etc... - and once in one of these locations the detective had to resolve an encounter (from a big and very creative encounter chart) in order to get the clue to the mystery. There were also some nasty foes travelling around the tabletop (the city) trying to stop the detectives, directed by a simple AI mechanic. And - since we are talking about Victorian London - there were some lovely VAMPIRESSES as well! :O) (sadly not included in the original boardgame...)

      Take a look:

      https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1275/221b-baker-street-master-detective-game

      :O)

      Delete
    4. P.S.> If you don't wanna use the Victorian London setting of "221B BAKER STREET: THE MASTER DETECTIVE GAME", you can just go with the original CASES but change the original locations to the ones of your own setting - I friend of mine in HK did just that a couple of years ago, using his "Mean Streets" Pulp scenery to play the game solo with the whole line of Copplestone gangsters figures! :O)


      Delete
    5. Thanks very mush for the Eduardo, I'll go and have a look now. The thought of giving it a Victorian setting is very appealing. There are some brilliant chaps in top hats about, I saw some for Gangs of New York somewhere and was very tempted by them.
      Thanks again.

      Delete
    6. Vagabond, you're ALWAYS welcome!

      Early editions of the "221B BAKER STREET: THE MASTER DETECTIVE GAME" can be bought very cheap at Ebay, Flea Markets or in certain toy stores; and Blue Moon and West Wind both have a pack of "Victorian London Civilians" that are perfect for Encounters/Clues... Just please don't forget to add VAMPIRESSES to your Victorian detective games! ;O)

      Looking forward to see how this project develops! :O)


      Delete
    7. This looks very interesting.
      Cheers

      Delete
  13. BTW: and I think that the town really needs a bigger boat.. err... SALOON! :O)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've been saying that ever since you first saw it, I'm not having cowboys riding their horses in my saloon, same as they ain't wearing spurs in the beds at Blonde Edna's.
      Cheers

      Delete
    2. "pardner" = old western speak for "partner" :O)

      For me, half the FUN of building an old western town is building a big saloon with all the tropes of the genera! :O)

      So, no riding horses into the saloon, really? What's the fun in that? :O0

      I understand that it's the ladies at Blonde Edna's that sometimes wear spurs in bed for just a little extra, isn't that?! ;O)

      Looking forward to see more action from the girls! :O)

      Delete
    3. I've got to say I love that idea of 221B as away of doing some gaming, John you really need to run with it or some other rival studio will do it ;)

      Delete
    4. Hey don't you go pinching my scripts, even if they're not mine or I'll be pinching your cameraman ;-)

      Delete
    5. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    6. (former comment removed due to editing issues...)

      Vagabond, once you're using the 221B Boardgame as a template for your Victorian London adventures, all your friends can write new "cases" and send them to you! ;O) So maybe I will send you a vampire mystery for Halloween, featuring a massacre in The Old Mariner Inn, some crazed ressurectionists and a new scientific method of forensic investigation... :O)



      Delete
    7. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optography ;O)

      Delete
    8. https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CEbNHtwW0AAIJEn.png :O)

      Delete
    9. OK - you got me hooked, I've just bought 221B Baker St as well as 4 planes and the cards for Wings of Glory. It's been an expensive evening.

      Optography - I think I have a vague memory of this idea, all though that's all I have now - just vague memories, well done for finding that, it looks like there is going to be some mileage in it as a game, as well as the Old Mariners Inn, although I might relocate it to New England as I have a few figures for a Lovecraftian game.

      Thanks for your advice and help.
      Take Care

      Delete
    10. Glad to hear you've bought 221B! Looking forward to see how it develops! ;O)

      We've used Optography in our Victorian Horror games in the past with great results - it was a natural progression from real life, since one of my game buddies is a worldwide known photographer and an avid student of the History of Photography ! :O) Anyway, I think it's always very interesting storywise to use a "highly scientific" method when the characters are investigating what will later ends up as sobrenatural events - you know, the old counterpoint between science and sobrenatural so typical of Victorian Horror! And you know that when the Player Characters are not "official" investigators attached to the police of the government, in order to use the marvels of Optogtaphy they will have to dig up the victims bodies themselves... sometimes with the help of some very interesting gentlemen ressurectionists... :OO And imagine their surprise when, in a dark room lit by a flickering red lamp, the photographic paper reveals in front of their own live eyes the image of a pretty female mouth... with a pair of long and sharp fangs! :O)

      Delete
    11. P.S.> And talking about a Lovecraftian setting, one of the "classical" player characters of the Arkham Horror game and other CoC material is a photographer! :O)

      http://eldritchhorrorgame.wikia.com/wiki/Darrell_Simmons

      Delete
    12. Glad to see your going with this John as its a great idea :), Eduardo I played Arkham Horror its a smashing game

      Delete
    13. Eduardo - that is a brilliant link to the horror Wikia, it's going to give me hours of reading. Cheers

      You have thrown up so many good lines for stories/games that I just don't know where to go.

      1930's gangsters would tie in so well with Lovecraft in New England, I have the rules Strange Aeons but I'm a bit unconvinced by them, the horrors seem to be another gang, crew, team, whatever the latest in term is, but they are the same as the investigators, just shooting deathly gazes or some such. I've only used them a couple of times and found the combat cumbersome so maybe didn't get the full horror flavour.
      The same goes for Chaos in Carpathia, the vampires/werewolves are just another team or league rather than a horror and I'm not sure how I see horror shown on the table!
      Late Victorian England top hats and vampires, that sounds too good to be true, but starting almost from scratch.

      The dark room and the flickering light, I think my irreverent writing style would be a bit at odds with the subject matter.
      Some thinking to do here. :)

      Delete
    14. Frank - I hold you partly responsible for the hole in my finances but Mrs Vagabond is interested in 221B and so that's all good. I'll let you know how we get on with it.

      HOWEVER:-

      "Eduardo I played Arkham Horror" - Frank does this constitute coming out of the closet in the Bloggosphere, I just need to understand the etiquette here. :-)

      Delete
    15. Vagabond, I recall we've "talked" about Horror in the tabletop on a few threads at LAF... the problem is that the usual wargaming approach to the genera is to pitch two or more "horror-themed gangs" against each other... Although it can be fun sometimes to play a coven of vampires against a mob of pitchfork-wielding peasants, there's no real HORROR in that! IMHO the real Horror lies in the unknown and the EMOTIONS that hit the players as a storyline develops... and such things can be only achieved in a RPG (heavy on miniatures and scenery, of course) or in a miniatures game where all the "players" are in the same side, teaming up against a common enemy - such as the new MANSIONS OF MADNESS or some 2 HOUR WARGAMES game titles... (they have a "Western Horror" game, it is sitting here on my reading list for ages! :O))

      So ruleswise stay away from "horror-themed skirmish games" (although they can be a great source of ideas and game mechanics) and look for miniature games where all the players - or the solo player - are in the same side against the unknown perils of the darkness! :O)

      BTW: 221B is a great boardgame, I'm pretty sure you and Mrs. Vagabong will like it! ;O)

      Delete
    16. BTW: the old "Rippers: The Horror Wars" is at first glance another "horror-themed-miniatures-skirmish-game"... BUT is has great ideas on the creation of scenarios and random events that can add a great deal of a true HORROR atmosphere to ANY miniatures game. I suggest you to take a serious look at it - just forget the combat rules and read carefully the ideas for events and scenario creation: http://www.mediafire.com/file/y5uusu9i7ib2t95/Savage+Worlds+-+Rippers+-+The+Horror+Wars+%28Miniatures+Game%29.pdf

      :O)

      Delete
    17. EDIT> The 2 HOUR WARGAMES "Western Horror" title is called "High Moon: Dead Reckoning": http://www.mediafire.com/file/6gb4xqaercur9lr/High+Moon+-+Dead+Reckoning+%282015%29.PDF

      :O)

      Delete
    18. In regards to the Horror discussion, Pulp Alley has a horror deck for various effects when characters fail horror checks. I have not tried it myself, but you can find examples of it in use in some of the Pulp Alley youtube videos. For example, the 4 part series starting with https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-eqQaCawqU
      I don't know if that would suit what some of you are looking for, but I thought I would toss it out there.

      Delete
    19. Yep, the PA Horror Deck is an interesting tool that can be adapted to any miniatures action system, we've discussed it at LAF's Gothic Horror Forum. It's basically a "deck" with the same concept of the Insanity Effects Tables of the Call of Cthulhu RPG - there's a great article on that in an 80s issue of White Dwarf Magazine, written by Carl Sargent, if I'm not mistaken... :O) There are also very nice ideas for developing horror-themed games in the "Pulp Leagues" supplement for Pulp Alley.

      Delete
    20. I think we both agree about what is wrong with horror games, where the opponent is just a horror gang and so you are just fighting a skirmish level game, Unfortunately the link doesn't work, I might get the rules in the future but I think I have too much else to do at the moment.
      Thanks very much for your thoughts and suggestions.
      Cheers

      Delete
    21. Sorry that sounds a bit short and curt, it was not meant to.

      Delete
    22. Hi Fitz - I think I have the horror deck it was in the Serpent campaign book but I've not looked at it yet, I will need to get my finger out, I can see.

      Delete
    23. Hi Eduardo I'm about 3 replies behind here. The link to High Moon works, it is the one to Savage Worlds that doesn't.
      I also have the Pulp Leagues Book but haven't got round to reading that yet either. I didn't realise there was a horror bit in it, plenty to look forward to. :)

      Delete
    24. Vagabond, don't ask me why, but sometimes the Mediafire links only work if you're logged into Mediafire! Try this one for Rippers: The Horror Wars:
      https://mega.nz/#!HPRgzYwK!f-GWkk07S7GrI-0Gun9UXX2lcDp7rUWwnqe_7mIbQOY

      ;O)

      Delete
    25. Eduardo Thanks that's perfect, some very nice pictures for a start,
      Cheers

      Delete
    26. Always glad to see your studio spending money John :) Mrs Vagabond been interested in 221B is great news why you might even have a new script writer for the studio's, on the PA horror deck I have it but only used it once John but my thinking would be depending or what kind of horror effect you are trying to create you might need to strip the deck' E.G you build up this horror (I've ideas in my head of this but as I' not on your payroll :))
      & instead of frighten the be-Jesus out of them they get a bonus of some kind, the horror deck for PA is like all the decks in that the card can be good or bad for you.

      To finish I'll just say if I was doing this I'd go Victorian London but that might be me just trying to get you to spend more money :) & yes you have come out of the closet.

      Delete
    27. Frank if my studio goes but I know who to blame. I'm thinking of doing a re-make of the Blue Max, or Aces High, I have 4 planes on the way but I'm sure I need many more but there doesn't seem to be much stock out there. I'm thinking about importing from the States, at least the Dollar is starting to go back the right way for that to be viable.

      Delete
  14. Vagabond, glad to know the link is working! Take it easy, because there are some very nice ideas there!

    And if you need any wargame/RPG/suppplement/ruleset in .pdf form please let me know, because I may have it stashed somewhere, so you can test it first in order to buy the actual hardcover product later... ;O)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BTW: GURPS Horror 4th Edition has a lengthy and deep discussion with some great insights on creating a true HORROR gaming atmosphere on tabletop (be it a RPG or a miniatures game); it's a highly recommended work IMHO! :O)

      https://mega.nz/#!ybBQCK7I!Q2h9LZWlu6fXvHjykFQA1c9nSdf3tzXmkZaSTU2hQso

      Delete
    2. Cheers I'll give it a read through.

      Delete
  15. I know I'm late to the party, but what a wonderful read this has been - both the introduction and all of the comments. Thanks to you, John, I placed an order with Colonel Bill for his Wild West ladies and they sure are high quality figures. They were a real joy to paint. I now can't wait to see what happens next in Little Whiskey.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Better late than never - so it's good to see you here. the Col Bills figures I only have a couple but I thought the faces were especially good.
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a truly awesome looking board, populated with excellent painted mini's Vagabond, will be visiting here again

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Dave, you will be more than welcome and thanks for commenting, it led to me reread through the discussions we were having with some very good ideas coming up.
    I've got a bit carried away with little plastic aeroplanes lately and need to get back on track.
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete