Welcome

A Warm Welcome to my Blog




Monday 3 December 2018

Granny and Pops - Where's Granny

Pops and Betsie May didn’t have much hope for the survival of Granny, Daisy May and Ellie May it was now 4 days after the initial fight with the zombies. With Pops still weak from his wound it fell to Betsie to go back to Horsemans Flatts and see what she could find. Wang Mai and Lola decided that they would go along but they left the little girl in Pops capable hands, telling her to look after the old chap.
After the fiasco with the noise generated by the cars attracting zombies they parked up on the outskirts of town and the girls decided to go in on foot. They would fetch the cars later if needed.

If you didn't read the previous 2 games in this saga they are Here 1st Game and Here 2nd Game this is the continuation and if you enjoy it then it will have spoiled to some extent the endings in the other 2 games. Of course if you don't enjoy it, this is a much shorter read and you will have wasted less of your allotted time span on it. :)

Horsemans Flatts, quiet as the grave. As usual.

An overview.

The town has been moved 8” south to get a bit more board behind the Deli. Some things are different on this board but the continuity man has been sacked for such a poor job, so it won't happen again.

The encounter markers are not on here yet, nor are the visible zombies. Pretty poor show so far.

The girls entering the town from the south and they will follow the road down to Horsemans Deli which is in the distance on the left hand side of the crossroad and then follow the blood trail until they find Granny and the other two girls, dead or alive or maybe worse. Lola has been substituted for another figure with a pistol and a few more clothes (boo hiss) but the same attributes.

Not wanting to hang around they make fast moves down the road and quickly reach the cross roads. They pass a lone zombie who was in one of the alleys, but don’t see him and he cannot keep up with their pace.

At the cross roads, they will go behind the Deli and pick up the blood trail.

Just an over view with a small 'Stagger' of zombies top right and the lone zed on the right following them but way behind.
I did ask for suggestion as to what was a likely name for a group of Zombies and Doug came up with a 'Stagger' which I quite liked.

They go round the back of the Deli towards a concrete bunker, where there is another encounter marker which turns out to be just wind whistling through the trees (nothing). Phew. They move cautiously up the path towards the bunker.

And check the door – it’s not locked!!! They burst in ready for anything. Granny and the girls are there, which was pre determined, their condition was not. I used their constitution to decide on their injuries, if you remember they were all shot but not killed. So less than con = OK, con = hurt but not too badly, higher than con roll further die to see how badly hurt.

Granny Constitution 3 threw 2 = OK Daisy May Con 4 threw 4 = hurt but not badly -2 to movement – 1D to Brawl. Ellie May Con 5 threw 1 = OK. Well that’s a relief.

Next step was to check to see if the Looters were still there and they are - bugger. Reaction tests for everyone. The looters and Wang Mei throw the same and are both ready to fight but Granny wins the test and in that stern reedy voice of the old, those that are used to being obeyed shouts “CALM DOWN EVERYONE”, and surprisingly they do.

She thanks the looters for looking after her and invites them to come back to the cabin in the woods, which to everyone’s relief they decline.

Sorry about the building, the interior decorators got eaten by the zombies before they finished the job.

They all leave and on coming out in to the street again see a few zeds milling about. Also by the cross roads ( bottom left) are the 2 bikers from the 1st game. They had a bad conscience about running away and leaving Granny behind and had decided to return.

Well 6 girls 2 Bikers v 4 zombies – This is going to be easy. Well you didn’t think it would be that easy – did you. Well I kinda did yes. Sorry I do like that quote even if I don't always get it right.

The Zeds attack, the girls run, 4 of them anyway, suddenly it’s looking a bit serious.

Just prior to rolling the dice for a guts check I was thinking this is not proving very challenging and then rolled 5 and 6, and I need low to succeed. I had a good chuckle, never underestimate the damage a bad dice roll can do.

Wang Mei was attacked by 1 zed and she floored it. The 2 bikers checked to see if they could attack the zeds from behind but failed their test and remained stationary, couldn’t fire because of friends in line of fire, this didn’t seem to worry Daisy, she sprayed bullets everywhere but failed to hit anything.

Zeds seem stunned by the fight in front of them and don’t attack (fail to activate) but Wang Mai steps forwards to take on 2 of them, she is well aware that Daisy is injured and doesn’t want her involved, neither do I – she only has 1 Brawl die, but of course she joins in the fray, just like Pops she has Brains 2 and Guts 5 (high is good) the only difference is she can’t fight.

Fortunately Wang Mei takes out the zeds and Daisy doesn’t die. The bikers failed to make a fast move so have not contacted the remaining zed. Granny and the girls have stopped running and turn a little shamefaced back to the action but don’t make any positive moves towards it, they are still a little shook up.

Next turn Harley Davidson and Vincent ‘Black’ Lightening take down the lone zed but the shooting has brought more of them on to the streets.

Some more shooting and the area around our intrepid band is clear. There are other Zeds around but far enough away, time to get moving and get out of here.

The Zeds are closing in but there are not enough of them to stop an escape. No uncontrollable cars either this time.

One more zed about to get rollered down, the boys are not keeping up, keep failing activation so Granny goes back, “come on get your lardy arses into gear or you will be zombie chow” she politely informs them. “Ok Mam we're with you”. (Granny has a very commanding presence)

Final shot with Granny leading the big boys home, Wang Mei in the background is facing off to a zed down the alley to the right but it never gets close enough and they all escape back to the cars.

On reflection I think I made the scenario a little too easy, but once all the girls were found still alive and pretty much in one piece, I was hoping they would make it out and so this is maybe the end of an era for Pops and Granny. They have probably appeared in more games than any of my other figures and will have a well deserved retirement, while they are still alive.

Just as an afterthought I don’t know who sculptured the 3 May girls, but he’s never heard of gravity. They are not the best sculpts but I’ve become very fond of them, they have survived in some tough games over the years when others have succumbed.

Final note, for those who can spell, Vincent Black Lightening should of course be Lightning, but I've found with a few of the figures I was concentrating so hard on forming the letters when I painted the names on the bases that I overlooked what I was writing and so a few of my characters have names that are wrong, i.e. I missed out a letter or added one in, in the wrong place. Of course I am rubbish at spelling so that doesn't help either ;)

I'm currently working on the game reports that we played at DevLAM but it's a bit difficult because I made no notes, drank too much and stayed up too late etc, etc, but we had a good time, so there will probably be more pictures than text which may be a relief.

I'm also preparing to move house and if all goes well that should occur in January and so I expect there will be a Gone Fishing notice posted on the blog for quite a while until I get my act together. The good news is that I will have a bigger room :)

Ivor
These are the figures I was referring to, if you're interested just let me know.


Well if you are still here - thanks for reading.

29 comments:

  1. Great conclusion to this story John, Do hope the move goes well, and look forward to seeing whatever you show from DevLam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave, I've just been on your blog and clicked on the car photo and got a load of stuff opening on my laptop telling me to click here there and everywhere because I had a problem with Microsoft. I couldn't get rid of it and had to turn the laptop off and delete all the history before I could get back using it properly.
      I've had something similar with the tablet in the past, I don't know if it's me or if anyone else has had problems.
      Brilliant car was all I wanted to say.
      Cheers

      Delete
    2. Sorry about that John, I get the same with the comments on there but if I click close on the pop up before it loads it stops the problem. No idea where there coming from and sorry they caused such grief

      Delete
    3. Dave I wondered if you reported it to blogger maybe they could do something about it, I assume someone has infiltrated a bit of software on your blog somehow and blogger should be able to get rid of it for you.

      Delete
    4. Thank's John will see what I can get sorted

      Delete
  2. Another cool batrep from your gorgeous table. What rules do you use, please? There is a REP value, so I guess it must be something from THW?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Skully thanks for the compliment. I'm using the THW Chain Reaction rules maybe 1 or 2 editions ago as the basis. I bought ATZ and use a modified In Sight and bit's of the zombie stuff, although a lot of my zombie rules came from reading Vampifans game reports about 5 years ago and adapting how he was describing some of the rules. I've incorporated Horror ideas from Chaos in Carpathia and Uncle Mikes Rules, can't remember their name. Encounters from .45 Rules and joined it all together.
      The characteristics ideas come from various rule sets even Rune Quest. So I guess it's not much help if you were looking to pick them up some where. Sorry.

      Delete
  3. Brilliant stuff as usual John!! I'll be honest, when I saw that little blue tow motor I was hoping to see Granny jump in it and run down some zombies lawnmower style 😃
    Very much appreciated, here's my email - ivorevans13@yahoo.com
    Send me a message and we'll get sorted 🙂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow Ivor, I wish I had thought of that it's a great idea.

      I'll drop you a mail.
      Cheers

      Delete
  4. So alls well that ends well John, but you do know that had N&D made this movie they all most likely have ended up as Z :) can wait to see the silent movie from DevLAM ;)

    All the best with the move mate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's only because you don't like to pay your stars at the end of the film so it's easier to have them devoured, you are a heartless studio, it will all come back to haunt you in the end ;)

      Delete
  5. A most heart-warming conclusion to this story, John. For me, Granny was the star of this episode - she acted just how I thought she would, taking command and getting everyone safely off the board. I don't think the scenario was too easy, especially when you bear in mind what happened in parts 1 and 2. I hope she has a long and happy retirement if that is what she decides to do.
    All the best from Bryan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Bryan, the Pops and Granny combination seemed to work really well for me, the girls could have come or gone but the 2 old guy's were the stars.
      That was one of the reasons I didn't send Pops back, he nearly died the first time and I didn't want to risk him not making it. It's a bit daft when you get attached to your little lead characters. I think I'd better see a doctor about it. :)

      Delete
    2. Hey, I also get attached to my miniature figures. Perhaps we should both book a doctor's appointment! Or maybe we're just sentimental old softies!

      Delete
    3. I've been taking part in a WW1 campaign on the aerodrome site and we have named characters flying the planes. I chose the names of guys who were actual pilots in the war. After 3 missions all my pilots were out of action, wounded, etc so for the fourth game I had a new bunch, for the fifth game most of my original pilots were fit and I had a devil of a time deciding who's life I was going to risk in the fifth and final game.
      Definately need the doctor. ;)

      Delete
  6. Another fun report, with a great setup/terrain. I like how this whole episode concluded. Getting attached to your lead characters shows that you're getting immersed in the thing and that's good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Fitz I was happy with the way it went so I'm pleased you enjoyed it too.
      I guess because I name all the figures they take on a bit more of a life of their own. ;)

      Delete
  7. A gripping tail, as usual and I was behind the great escape all the way.
    I know a lot of gamers would have left the nearest edge and said "won", I'm always pleased to see a more logical and sometimes more difficult approach.
    The scenario wasn't that easy imo as the dice gods canalways be fickle.
    Very entertaining game and no-one would have spotted the changes to Horsemans Flats had you not said.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joe you are right I guess, with the unpredictability of a dice roll this could have gone down hill quickly like many of my games, I suppose because that didn't happen it seemed a bit easy in retrospect.
      The truth with the changes was because I'd made some new buildings that were better than the existing ones.

      Delete
  8. Brilliant final installment John, but it's hard to imagine Granny taking to retirement very well - taking up knitting or tending the window boxes are hardly likely to appeal to a character that can totally "boss" an encounter like this!

    As for the spelling "mistake", surely if that's how he spells his own name, it's GOT to be right - even if the same word is usually spelled (spelt?) differently :-)

    Looking forward to the DevLam stuff immensely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Greg the spelling is how I rationalise it as well but I used this figure in one of my DevLAM games and got hauled over the coals for it, so thought I should explain. ;)
      Nice to hear from you hope life isn't too hectic, the book is brilliant bye the way and coming in very useful as I'm painting some Shapeways planes over the next few weeks, just doing the research at the moment. Thanks again.

      Delete
    2. Obviously, great minds think alike (surely we can't be fools seldom differing??) :-)
      I dunno if the hecticity has subsided, or I'm adapting to the 'new normal' - either way, I'm enjoying a little more hobby time so without doubt 'tis the season to be jolly! :-)

      Delete
  9. Cracking game sir. Good luck with the move in January!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Simon, I can't say I'm looking forward to it, but it will be good once we're in. I'm still trying to figure out how I move the little lead men :)

      Delete
  10. Pops and Granny retired?!?! Say it ain't so. As with the others looking forward to what you and Doug and Mad Lord Snapcase got up to on your gin soaked weekend.
    Lon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi There Lon
      Good to hear from you. Sometimes it's good to hang up the little lead hobnail boots.

      Delete
  11. I'm glad the gang got out in one piece, and I'm sure they have many adventures in store for the future...
    Regarding Vincent - well, he's a biker after all, so you can't expect him to be very adept at spelling, can you?
    Good luck with the move!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Joakim
    I was pushing a bit for a good outcome and was pleased it went that way although I do think it will be their last adventure at least for a while. Too many other things to do as well as the fact I don't want them getting killed - daft I know.
    Thanks for the good wishes on the move, British law of contract leaves a lot to be desired in terms of certainty of sale, anyone can back out until quite close to a final exchange date and contracts are signed.
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete